the lord of the rings vs. the silmarlian

One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them. One forum to bring it all and in the darkness bind them.

Moderators: Rao, Tar-Herunole

which do you like better?

the lord of the rings
56%
the silmarilian
44%

Total votes : 9

Postby Evlfrost » Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:49 pm

I would also like to know what happened to the blue wizards, the ones who went into the east and never came back.
Evljsh: You're young and thus illegal!
xXOkashiiSuruXx: -falls over-

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Re: the lord of the rings vs. the silmarlian

Postby Winkchen » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:33 pm

I liked the lotr better, I just read the Silmarilion last year, I had been waiting for years to finally read it (read lotr for the first time when I was 11, didn`t speak a lot of english at this time and we only had it in english and I didn`t want to buy it, so I waited) and I was a bit disappointed.
Some stories were pretty nice, but there were way to many names and names of places in it, I couldn´t keep them in my head and it was kinda boring.
But I liked this nice old english tolkien used, all this thou and stuff like that, it sounded pretty.
Winkchen
Townfolk

Postby TerraFrost » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:19 am

Winkchen wrote:I liked the lotr better, I just read the Silmarilion last year, I had been waiting for years to finally read it (read lotr for the first time when I was 11, didn`t speak a lot of english at this time and we only had it in english and I didn`t want to buy it, so I waited) and I was a bit disappointed.
Some stories were pretty nice, but there were way to many names and names of places in it, I couldn´t keep them in my head and it was kinda boring.
But I liked this nice old english tolkien used, all this thou and stuff like that, it sounded pretty.

I think one of the big appeals to me of The Silmarilion was that it greatly expanded the bestiary and legendarium of Middle Earth.

Also, some stories appeal to me more than others. The Fall of Gondolin and the Fall of Numenor were pretty neat. The fall of Beleraind, which I'd say the Silmarilian devotes a lot more time to, doesn't appeal to me anywhere near as much. Numenor and Gondolin had the mightiest peoples Arda had ever seen outside of Aman and Morgoth's reign probably sowed as much despair into people as did the events of Battlestar Galactica to the people within the Battlestar Galactica universe.

Of course, I haven't read The Lord of the Rings since maybe middle school. I've read the Silmarilian twice, the latest time while in college. The latest Tolkien book that I've read, though, is The Hobbit and that was a few years ago as well (I don't really read novels very often, heh).
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Winkchen » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:44 pm

I really don`t know how many times I read lotr, it`s one of the books I read every year :lol

I really liked that Lúthien and Berén thingy (don`t know what this story was called), but I think the beginning of the book was kinda dull.
Not a book I need to read again, I think.
Winkchen
Townfolk

Postby TerraFrost » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:39 pm

Winkchen wrote:I really don`t know how many times I read lotr, it`s one of the books I read every year :lol

I really liked that Lúthien and Berén thingy (don`t know what this story was called), but I think the beginning of the book was kinda dull.
Not a book I need to read again, I think.

Yeah... the whole Music of the Ainur is kinda slow. The discussion of the creation of the elves and Melkor's corruption of them and the poisoning of the trees... I found all of that to be kinda interesting, but maybe the narrative was slow... I don't really recall. To be honest, a lot of my knowledge is supplemented heavily by The Complete Guide to Middle Earth. I used to just pick a page and read a random entry in it.

I lent it to my Dad to read, once, and he lost track of the names, too. Actually, I lent it to a coworker at a former employer of mine, once, and they had that exact complaint, as well, heh.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Winkchen » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:44 pm

Well, the creation of the elves and all this stuff wasn`t that bad, but I was never able to keep this names in my mind.
I took a sheet of paper and made some kind of drawing who had which powers and who was related to whom and so on.
After doing that for a few pages there wasn`t any space left on my paper, everything was mixed up and unclear and I was even more confused than before.
Winkchen
Townfolk

Previous

Return to The Tolkien League