the lord of the rings vs. the silmarlian

One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them. One forum to bring it all and in the darkness bind them.

Moderators: Rao, Tar-Herunole

which do you like better?

the lord of the rings
56%
the silmarilian
44%

Total votes : 9

the lord of the rings vs. the silmarlian

Postby TerraFrost » Fri Jan 03, 2003 4:26 am

which do you like better? i have a feeling most people will like the lord of the rings better...
i don't, though. the silmarilian is the book for me :)
i've only read the lord of the rings once, and i've never read the hobbit, but i've read the silmarilian twice, and portions of the unfinished tales, and portions of the unfinished tales published by jrr tolkiens son, christopher tolkien, like the lays of belerand, etc.
Last edited by TerraFrost on Fri Jan 03, 2003 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Megafrost » Fri Jan 03, 2003 5:12 am

I've never read "The Silmarilian" or whatever it's called, so I voted LOTR. :p
The universe is mine and all shall bow before the might of Megafrost, master of Orion, master of the universe...
Megafrost
Frost Blacksmith
Frost Blacksmith

Postby akiro » Fri Jan 03, 2003 10:03 am

yea LOTR is the best my fav character is the guy who shoots the arrows. hes neat 8)
if you mess with the fro you gotta go.
akiro
Traveler

Postby Evlfrost » Fri Jan 03, 2003 7:51 pm

The Silmarilion is by far the better book. It takes the majustity of LOTR and multiplys it by like 100. While in LOTR you get heros like Aragorn and Gandalf, in the Silmarilion you get people like Beren, Luthein, Turin, Tuor, Hurin, Huor, and countless others. And it does not all take place in the space of some odd years, the Silmarilion tells about the begining of the world, the creation of the Silmarils, the battles of Bereland, the rise and fall of Numenor, and thats just the tip of the iceberg. My overall favorite story would have to be Narn I Hin Hurin (the tale of the children of Hurin). My favorite character would have to be Turin.

Note to Terra: Read the Hobbit. It is really good (my Dads favorite Tolkien book).
Evljsh: You're young and thus illegal!
xXOkashiiSuruXx: -falls over-

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Postby TerraFrost » Fri Jan 03, 2003 8:25 pm

hehe. i really need to read the the hobbit before i can be called a tolkien freak - although you pretty much have to be a tolkien freak to like the silmarilian, so, hehe... i'm just a weird little person :)

and yeah... i'd say each chapter in the silmarlian is on par with the Lord of the Rings, heh. I think you only get a brief account of Narn I Nin Hurin, though, from the Silmarilian - the whole thing is in Unfinished Tales, as is a much more elaborate account of tuor and his comming to, and the fall of gondolin, which is probably my fav. story in the Silmarilian :)

actually, the unfinished tales referes to the nazgul right under the witchking as kahmul, or something like that... which, interestingly enough, differes from the name the card game made up for that one. of course, i don't think they consider unfinished tales to be official tolkien material... personally, i think a lot of it should be... i mean, it doesn't contradict the silmarilain anywhere, and if anything, adds to it.

now the lost tales, on the other hand... those books do contradict the silmarlian, mainly because half of them are early versions of the silmarilian, and other tolkien stuff - i haven't read most of those, though. heh - some of that is even in old english and norse! :eek:
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Evlfrost » Fri Jan 03, 2003 8:32 pm

Those books (the Lost Tales and other what-nots) are nessary to a Tolkein nut. And yes the Unfinished Tales do give a better telling of Narn I Hin Hurin than the Silmarilion. But however there are things in the Silmarilion that are not in the Unfinished Tales, so if you want to get the most out of it you gave to read them both at the same time, picking up where the other left off.

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Postby Rao » Wed Jan 22, 2003 3:04 am

Tolkien wrote all of the silmarillion stories without thinking of putting them together. Then he sooned realized that he had too, for he knew it was his most important works yet. That is the main reason many dont know of the Silmarillion, they juts know LotR, because it was published first, had the Silmarillion been published first, Castle Reshka may have needed to make this forum.

But I am glad the frosts made it:)
Tell the Spartans, Stranger passing by,
That here, Obedient to their laws, We lie,
Rao
Elite Guard

Postby Evlfrost » Thu Jan 23, 2003 3:54 pm

Tolkein didnt even manage to publish all of his works. Some of the most helpful books (ie the Unfinished Tales) were published by his son Christofer.

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Postby Rao » Fri Jan 24, 2003 3:50 am

The reason was that he wrote for his own personal enjoyment. To me that is all you need:)
Rao
Elite Guard

Postby Evlfrost » Fri Jan 24, 2003 3:02 pm

When you do things because you enjoy them you tend to do higher quality work.

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Postby Rao » Sat Jan 25, 2003 1:44 am

Yes, I enjoy posting in this forum. Thus, making me act like I know what I am talking about for once.
Rao
Elite Guard

Postby Evlfrost » Mon Jan 27, 2003 6:09 pm

I love anything Tolkein. Although I havent read a lot of the things that you have. After the contest could you please tell me were you get some of your info?

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Postby Rao » Mon Jan 27, 2003 9:19 pm

Of course, it is hard stuff to retain. Names get mixed up alot. Tolkien is a very off beat writer. Many things i know aren't even in that encyclopedia. I think the maker of that gets all his info from the Complete guide to middle-earth and the Silmarillion. Evl, I advise you make those two books your bibles. They are mine :)
Rao
Elite Guard

Postby Evlfrost » Tue Jan 28, 2003 10:26 pm

I have the Silmarillion and others besides but not the Complete guide. Ill have to check that one out.

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Postby Rao » Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:29 am

Get that. It is really helpful.
Rao
Elite Guard

Next