New movie?

One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them. One forum to bring it all and in the darkness bind them.

Moderators: Rao, Tar-Herunole

New movie?

Postby Rao » Fri Dec 19, 2003 1:35 am

Not too good, battle scene was too short, and Arwen looked ugly. But other than that, A+
Tell the Spartans, Stranger passing by,
That here, Obedient to their laws, We lie,
Rao
Elite Guard

Postby Evlfrost » Fri Dec 19, 2003 7:37 am

Well my main problem was that the scourging of the shire was taken out.
Evljsh: You're young and thus illegal!
xXOkashiiSuruXx: -falls over-

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Postby TerraFrost » Fri Dec 19, 2003 8:53 am

i think the scourging of the shire would have been neat, however, the fact that it wasn't being included has been common knowledge for years. someone who hadn't seen the movie could say that they had a problem with that, and if that was all they said, you wouldn't be able to tell, heh.

i didn't particurarly like the fact that the seemed to underplay the importance of the palantri. i mean, as the movie was shown, denether is insane, but we have no idea why (well, without reading the books). the palantri would have explained that. also, aragorn didn't show his might by sorta wrestling the palantri away from sauron. just be watching the movie, one might also conclude that the palantri had the same corruptive powers as the one ring, which would be an incorrect conclusion. however, all that said, they might do some explaining in the extended edition.

i also didn't like how they didn't show the mouth of sauron. for those who don't recall him in RotK, he met with gandolf, aragorn, and the like, at the black gate. he showed them frodo's garb, and at that point, most of the people at the black gate kinda lost hope. i missed that scene. however, that said, although i think the problem with the palantri may be resolved in the extended edition, i don't believe the mouth of sauron will be added. i mean, how would they explain him getting frodo's clothes, for one? in the movie, frodo was freed after the orcs started fighting after his mithril coat, but... the mithril coat was still there, when he left. also, i think it would be somewhat unprecidented of them to add an entirely new character, anyways.

as for what was good... well, i thought they did a great job with shelob - she was the most realistic giant spider i think i've ever seen on screen, heh. of course, that said, i don't imagine giant spiders are all that hard to do, since you could pretty much model 'em after real spiders, but anyways, heh, she was still impressive. i thought they did a good job on the lord of the nazgul, and i thought they did a good job with all the oiliphants. also, grond, the mace that was used to bash in the door at minas tirith, looked quite neat :)

also, at the end, frodo really did look quite evil, heh. they did a good job on that, too, imho.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Evlfrost » Fri Dec 19, 2003 9:04 pm

Heh. I didnt like how they had no closure with Saruman. Its like they just left him in the tower and forgot about him.

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Postby Rao » Fri Dec 19, 2003 11:39 pm

Terra, wasnt grond the mace of Melkor, i thought that he killed Fingolfin with that?
Rao
Elite Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Sat Dec 20, 2003 12:58 am

it was both. here's the passage in the return of the king that named it (and incidently, sorta made reference to both gronds, heh):

The drums rolled louder. Fires leaped up. Great engines crawled across the field; and in the midst was a huge ram, great as a forest-tree a hundred feet in length, swinging on mighty chains. Long had it been forging in the dark smithies of Mordor, and its hideous head, founded of black steel, was shaped in the likeness of a ravening wolf; on it spells of ruin lay. Grond they named it, in memory of the Hammer of the Underworld of old. Great beasts drew it, Orcs surrounded it, and behind walked mountain-trolls to wield it.

sauron seemed to enjoy reusing names morgoth used, heh. consider gothmog, the lord of the balrogs. gothmog was also a servent of sauron, in return of the king, although his name is only mentioned once:

Gothmog the lieutenant of Morgul had flung them into the fray; Easterlings with axes, and Variags of Khand.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Rao » Sat Dec 20, 2003 1:07 am

I thought that sounded familiar, lol, thats cool thank you.
Rao
Elite Guard

Postby Evlfrost » Sat Dec 20, 2003 1:11 am

It was in the likeness of a wolf? Heh, I thought it look liked a boar in the movie.

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Postby Neerowolf » Sat Dec 20, 2003 4:07 pm

I have to go see it. It sounds so good...
Neerowolf
Legendary Guard

Postby Rao » Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:04 pm

I thought that it looked like a Chinese Dragon, but thats just meh.
Rao
Elite Guard

Postby chaotic century » Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:44 pm

i agree with rao it did look more like a dragon then a wolf head. i say the movie coulda been better if they put in all thre good parts everyone has said but then it would b about 10 hours long n i dont think even a lotr freak would sit in the theatre for that long without a brake or something.but thats just my opinion
I am Chaotic Century King of the PointyShiney!
"this world is made of! this world is made of.. LOVE and PEACE!

neero is my master

it is foolish to listen to someone who will not listen to you
chaotic century
Heroic Guard

Postby Rao » Tue Dec 23, 2003 11:55 pm

I would :)
Rao
Elite Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Wed Dec 24, 2003 12:47 am

and we apparently will be able to sorta test our resolve to sit through such a movie with the release of the extended edition :):

http://www.frostjedi.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=4411

i say sorta because we'll no doubt have to swap dvd's midway through, providing us with an break of sorts :)
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Rao » Wed Dec 24, 2003 9:00 pm

I cant wait!!!!! 5 hours is too short!!!!!
Rao
Elite Guard

Postby chaotic century » Wed Dec 31, 2003 4:57 pm

i kno id watch it at home but not at the movies so i could pause it whenever i wanted to or needed to lol
I am Chaotic Century King of the PointyShiney!
"this world is made of! this world is made of.. LOVE and PEACE!

neero is my master

it is foolish to listen to someone who will not listen to you
chaotic century
Heroic Guard

Next

Return to The Tolkien League