interesting points about the rings of power

One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them. One forum to bring it all and in the darkness bind them.

Moderators: Rao, Tar-Herunole

interesting points about the rings of power

Postby TerraFrost » Fri Dec 12, 2003 5:41 am

here's a comprehensive faq about the rings of power:

http://oakroadsystems.com/genl/ringfaq.htm

things i didn't know, but thought were interesting...

when the bearer of the one ring put it on he sorta entered another world - a spiritual world. those in valinor existed in both worlds, simultaniously.

the nazgul, most likely, did not wear their rings - atleast not on a regular basis.

there was telepathy in middle earth, sorta.

finally, there are some interesting discussions as to whether or not the one ring was sentient, and as to why sauraman didn't take gandolf's ring from him.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Rao » Fri Dec 12, 2003 8:09 pm

Make sure this is a sponsored link, Terra, becuz people make up shit, i have heard about some of this, but alot of it i dont know, one:becuz it is false or Two: Becuz i frankly dont give a shit about the third age.
Tell the Spartans, Stranger passing by,
That here, Obedient to their laws, We lie,
Rao
Elite Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:09 am

well, i'm not sure if it's a sponsored link, but... that said, i do believe that much of what that faq says is valid. references are provided as embedded urls within the text and numerious quotes are given, which should be easy enough to verify (well, easy if you have an illegal ebook version of the book, heh). also, that said, i will grant that a lot of the stuff on the faq is deduced from the available evidence, and not ever explicitly said by tolkien, but... i still found it to be pretty interesting :)

and yeah... i kinda agree with you about not giving a shit about the third age - i think the neatest thing of the third age are the rings of power, but much of the history of those lies in the second age. i mean, in the second age, the ring changes hands a dozen times, they're forged, sauron committs a great act of treachery, etc. in the third age... the ring is under a river for a 1000 years? hmmm. that's interesting, heh.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Evlfrost » Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:14 am

Yeah the third age is a little boring imo. The first age happens to be my fav. What with Turin and Fingolfin, and Beren. :)
Evljsh: You're young and thus illegal!
xXOkashiiSuruXx: -falls over-

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Postby Rao » Sat Dec 13, 2003 3:55 am

Thats a disgusting order!!! Fingolfin goes first!!!!
Tell the Spartans, Stranger passing by,
That here, Obedient to their laws, We lie,
Rao
Elite Guard

Postby Evlfrost » Sat Dec 13, 2003 6:44 am

Thats the order in which I like them :)
Evljsh: You're young and thus illegal!
xXOkashiiSuruXx: -falls over-

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Return to The Tolkien League