Glorfindel

One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them. One forum to bring it all and in the darkness bind them.

Moderators: Rao, Tar-Herunole

Glorfindel

Postby TerraFrost » Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:23 am

evl had asked about this...

7. Was Glorfindel of Rivendell the same as Glorfindel of Gondolin?

[This updates question V.D.2 of the Tolkien LessFAQ.]

Yes. With the publication of _The Peoples of Middle-earth_,
certainty has become possible: the first essays in the section "Last
Writings" of that book discuss Glorfindel and his history. Those texts
make it very clear that after his death in the flight from Gondolin,
Glorfindel was re-embodied in Aman (see question III.B.6) and was later
sent back to Middle-earth as an aid or an emissary. Tolkien seems to
have been uncertain as to whether he returned in the Second Age by way
of Numenor or in the Third Age as a companion of Gandalf.

Source: http://tolkien.slimy.com/faq/TolkNgFaq.txt
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Evlfrost » Wed Dec 03, 2003 7:22 pm

Interesting...

Something tells me now that they should have sent glorfindel with the fellowship instead of legolas :D
Evljsh: You're young and thus illegal!
xXOkashiiSuruXx: -falls over-

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Postby Tar-Herunole » Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:25 pm

You may be right evl...
Glorfindel was much more powerful and wise that Legolas. However, I guess that the choice of Legolas was more appropriate for two reasons. The first is that being glorfindel a Noldo, he was (likewise Elrond or Galadriel) already with one foot in Aman, where the rest of his House dwelled. Legolas in the opposite was a gren elf, much more tied to Middle-Earth, and his presence in the Fellowship was more symbolic, than of one of the Calaquendi.

In the other side, the Fellowship was not designed as the seven Samurais, or the league of Incredible men... Its stealth was essential. This is maybe contradictory to the fact of including Gandalf and Aragorn, although in the second case, Aragorn was not yet revealed in his true nature. Otherwise Elrond, Galadriel, Celeborn, Cirdan, Gandalf, Saruman and Aragorn would have been a much more suitable "all-Stars" fellowship.
Tar-Herunole
Elite Guard

Postby Evlfrost » Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:59 am

No, they knew that Saruman was treacherous at that point, he wouldnt have been invovled. Also, they would need someone to carry the ring and they wouldnt do it themselves for fear of being corrupted. So I would think it would be more like Elrond, Celeborn, Cirdan, Gandalf, Glorfindel, Aragorn, Frodo.

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Postby TerraFrost » Fri Jan 16, 2004 5:25 pm

i haven't read LotR in a while, but if the peter jacksons portrayel of Elrond is accurate, elrond himself may have thought he was strong enough to destroy the ring, 'cause in the movie, he complained about how the strength of men had failed. he also sorta implied that elves had the strength that men didn't.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Evlfrost » Fri Jan 16, 2004 8:09 pm

Elves do have strength that men dont. But I doubt Elrond thought that he had the strength to destroy the ring. I mean, even Gandalf or Galadriel wouldnt do it. The mere thought of it corrupted Saruman. I think hobbits were able to do it because they were simple folk. They didnt have big dreams of glory. The simply belived in good. Their faith was middle earths salvation. Its interesting that these small simple folk could do what even the mighty Eldar and Dunedain could not.

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Postby Tar-Herunole » Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:24 pm

Evl is right. Gil-galad had led Isisldur to the Mount of Doom, but Isildur had at the end refused to throw it.. That is why Elrond (that by the way is half man himself :lol ) is soar about men. But who knows why Gil-Galad did not the job himself. Maybe because it was Isildur who had it in the first place and attempting to take it from him with vipolence would have been exactly what the ring wanted, or maybe just because he thought the ring would transform him (as to her "auntie" Galadriel)

In the book, Sam has the ring and when the ring tries to tempt him, he only dreams about a garden (he is a gardener) as big as Mordor where he is the lord... but quick he thinks that this is an illusion, and even if that happened, he prefered a small garden where he could be a good gardener... That's why the ring has so little power vs. hobbits.
High King of the Noldor in Middle-Earth
Honorary Knight of the Pointy Shiney
"... All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die"
Tar-Herunole
Elite Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:53 pm

yeah... in fact, i remember something about the orcs being afraid of sam because he had the power to resist the ring...
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Evlfrost » Sat Jan 17, 2004 4:34 am

Ummm...Gil-Galad died in the fight against Sauron. It was Elrond who lead Isildor up to mount doom.

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Postby TerraFrost » Sat Jan 17, 2004 5:41 am

wasn't gil-galad, and some other elf, burned by the heat of sauron? if so, why wasn't isuilder burned by the heat of sauron, as well? i think all this was explained in a specific part in the lord of the rings, but... like i said earlier, i haven't read the lord of the rings in quite a while, heh.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Evlfrost » Sat Jan 17, 2004 5:44 am

I dont remember anything about anyone being burned by the heat of Sauron. I wouldnt think Sauron would have been all that hot heh. He was a maia of Aule before Melkor corrupted him.

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Postby TerraFrost » Sat Jan 17, 2004 5:50 am

as i recall, sauron was made really hot ever since his survival of the destruction of numenor.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Tar-Herunole » Sat Jan 17, 2004 3:12 pm

SOrry, Gil-Galad was slain indeed by Sauron, and it was Elrond and Cirdan who asked Isildur actually to give them the ring so they could destroy it, or to destroy it himself. I guess than in the hour of the great defeat of Sauron the power of the ring was diminished and the strength in the hearts of Elrond and Cirdan great, so they thought they could handle it. But Isildur decided to keep it.
I don't know about the heat of Sauron. maybe it's in LOTR that I also haven't read in a while. Why did not Isildur die as well of tht heat?
Tar-Herunole
Elite Guard

Postby Evlfrost » Sat Jan 17, 2004 9:34 pm

I think what you were refering to was the heat from the ring itself. Gandalf read a thing by Isildur that said he was burned by it. Kinda like the silmarls heh.

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Postby Tar-Herunole » Sat Jan 17, 2004 11:20 pm

that could be it... but I was wondering where is it narrated how Elrond led Isildur to Mount Doom...LotR?
Tar-Herunole
Elite Guard

Next

Return to The Tolkien League