One quiz, seven langauges

Want a challenge? Then this is the forum for you. Partake in contests or trivia games for a chance to win Tokens.

Postby Tar-Herunole » Thu Feb 05, 2004 4:39 pm

I wonder if you would be so good at reckognising them when hearing instead of reading, but yes again! 5 is Japanese in Romaji (romanized spelling) as someone noted before, and 1 is Mandarin Chinese!
High King of the Noldor in Middle-Earth
Honorary Knight of the Pointy Shiney
"... All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die"
Tar-Herunole
Elite Guard

Postby Evlfrost » Thu Feb 05, 2004 5:03 pm

I cant tell romance languages apart from each other very well, except I might be able to pick out french, spanish, and latin, because of the 'feel' that they have towards them. Watching anime alot leaves me in a lot of experiance hearing Japanese spoken. That and Japanese has a very distinct feel towards it, its just so different from the rest of the languages you hear. German is kinda the same way. I was able to guess Catalan, because you said a romance language that very few people spoke, and that was the only one I could think of that didnt have a country assigned to it. But then I looked Catalan up and it said that roughly 10 million people speak it. So thats kind of a give away.
Evljsh: You're young and thus illegal!
xXOkashiiSuruXx: -falls over-

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Postby Tar-Herunole » Thu Feb 05, 2004 5:13 pm

Hehe... Actually, if you don't know japanese and spanish, or if people did speak it too casssually (like droping the desu at the end) sometiems Spanish and Japanese could be confused, becuase the sound of the vowels are almost the same and the consonants very similar. The only difference is in the tones and pauses of the sentences, much more plain in Japanese, specially in Tokyo's Japanese. But there are many common words with different meaning:
ajo-aho is pronounced similar to ah-hoh but in japanese means stupid and in Spanish garlic
vaca-baka is again in both languages pronounced as baka, and means cow in spanish and Stupid (again!) in Japanese
pan-pan means in both languages bread, because the Spanish/Portuguese brought it to Japan in the 16th century (Note that in Portuguese is Pao)
Interesting, isn't it? I once invited my Hong Kong friend to a Spanish restaurant: Iruna. He speaks Japanese and thought the restaurant was Japanese! the name could be both! (although has no meaning in none as long as I am aware)
Last edited by Tar-Herunole on Thu Feb 05, 2004 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tar-Herunole
Elite Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Thu Feb 05, 2004 5:22 pm

About the language he refferred to , I hink he meant Esperanto, which was an attempt to make all the world speak the same language, that would take the best of all languages and mde a grammar without exceptions, and so and so...

yup - esperanto was the lang i was thinking of :)
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Tar-Herunole » Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:21 pm

C'mon, anybody? Don't want to give a last try? It's quite close now!
Tar-Herunole
Elite Guard

Postby Megafrost » Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:33 pm

So...want to extend it, or give your answers to win a token?
The universe is mine and all shall bow before the might of Megafrost, master of Orion, master of the universe...
Megafrost
Frost Blacksmith
Frost Blacksmith

Postby Tar-Herunole » Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:40 pm

I guess it was kind of difficult... if anyone had gotten the Chinese, Japanese or Mandarin I would have given the token... but I think the answers were too incomplete so:

1 Hello (plural), my good friends (Mandarin Chinese)
2 This is not an easy contest (Italian)
3 There is not many people who speaks all these languages (French)
4 And not many who speak some (Catalan/Catalonian)
5 However, the sentences are not difficult (japanese romaji form)
6 And this is not an exam, only a game
7 So I hope you will manage to guess it!

Obviously people could not! It was fun though!
Tar-Herunole
Elite Guard

Postby Megafrost » Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:00 pm

*awards Tar-Herunole with token and ice cubes*
The universe is mine and all shall bow before the might of Megafrost, master of Orion, master of the universe...
Megafrost
Frost Blacksmith
Frost Blacksmith

Previous

Return to Contest Cooler