anime stuff

A place to discuss movies, books, music and other forms of non-interactive entertainment. It also keeps your food cold.

Moderator: Rao

anime stuff

Postby Rapscallion » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:50 am

I'm interested into diving into more anime. I've only seen a little stuff, so I thought I'd ask you all want I'd probably prefer. So far, here's most of the stuff I've seen and really liked:

Princess Mononoke, Highlander:Search for Vengeance, the Trigun series (even though I've only seen the first three episodes), ...... actually, I think that's it. :lupe So is there anything I'd like based on these?

EDIT: oh, and Street Fighter 2: The Animated Movie.
Last edited by Rapscallion on Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:D
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Postby Megafrost » Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:25 am

Uh ohhhh, you said the A-word.

I better point Giga towards this topic. I call him the anime fairy.

EDIT: Although a quick word to him and he just shouts out "Brigadoon."
The universe is mine and all shall bow before the might of Megafrost, master of Orion, master of the universe...
Megafrost
Frost Blacksmith
Frost Blacksmith

Postby Gigafrost » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:31 pm

I should clarify: Brigadoon is my favorite anime, despite being pretty strange. This is mostly because, unlike most anime, you watch this one feeling like they're actually trying to tell a story. The happy / silly quirks combined with the animation might make one think it is aimed at younger kids, but you don't have to progress far to see that it isn't. Go a little farther and it starts getting downright scary in more than one way.

In addition, when it ends, you realize that it was building up to that specific ending the entire time. It's much like the first Matrix movie in that regard. (I will note that the english dub is pretty bad in the beginning, but the voice actors do become accustomed to their roles.)

Anyways, there are plenty of other anime out there to try. You've watched Princess Mononoke. There are other movies made by that director (Miyazaki) that are considered to be really good:

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (my favorite)
Castle in the Sky
Spirited Away
Howl's Moving Castle
(There's more, but I'm listing what I consider to be the cream of the crop.)

Some standard anime to check out include Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, Fullmetal Alchemist, and Evangelion. The original Hellsing is worth seeing. S-cry-ed has some good pacing. Read or Die (R.O.D.) is great, too. (Although the TV series isn't as great in the second half.)

You can try branching into Clamp work by checking out Chobits (which was less directed to a male audience.)

Some of my favorite Magical Girl shows include:
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha (recently licensed)
Princess Tutu
Magical Project S (quite funny.)
My-HiME (technically not magical girl, but I needed a place to mention this awesome anime.)

On that note, there's also the Tenchi series (which people have enjoyed.) Now might be a good time to do it since the Tenchi OVA has been recently continued. (There's Tenchi Muyo, Tenchi in Tokyo (my favorite), Tenchi Universe, and the Tenchi movies.)

You could also try exploring dotHack, but unfortunately the games are a critical part of the story. Otherwise, .Hack//Sign does a very good job of leading into the games, in my opinion, and I enjoy the way it ended.

Witch Hunter Robin can be enjoyable. Desert Punk was much funnier than I thought it'd be. Oh... Full Metal Panich is a nice series, but the second season (Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu) is most likely one of the funniest things I've ever watched. Excel Saga is pretty funny, too.

Azumanga Daioh can be quite funny as well, but people seem to be easily turned off by it.

Voices Of A Distant Star is really short, but... it's very beautiful.

Mahoromatic. There's a good one. Lots of fan service. Well, the ending sucked, though.

Elfen Lied is... violent. Very. You can also try Dokuro-chan (might still be unlicensed) or... gah, there was another really funny one that starts out looking incredibly, incredibly, incredibly innocent...

FLCL for a good mind twist with good action. Serial Experiments Lain if you just want the mind twist. Hidori Days if you want a romantic comedy whose basic concept kind of leaves your head spinning, screaming "WTF?!?!?"

Now And Then, Here And There had a pretty depressing story. Seven of Seven was simple fun.

Oooohhh.... Gungrave was very good...

If you're into spooky, you could try checking out Ghost Hunt if it's still unlicensed. There's also "When They Cry"...

I think there's a lot of good anime I'm forgetting, and I also think that I got off-track...

If you're interested in details about any of those anime, I should be able to provide. :)
Gigafrost
Frost Weapon
Frost Weapon

Postby Rapscallion » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:25 am

O.o I'm DEFINITELY talking to the right guy about this. :cheers alright. I have had alot of people tell me some good stuff about Cowboy Bebop, but would it be good to just watch the movie without watching any of the show?

I've seen about the first five minutes of the first Ghost In a Shell movie. How is that one?

I AM interested in Fullmetal Alchemist, which I'll probably be watching on adult swim (they still play it, right? It's too bad that they took Trigun off :dogeyes: ).

SPEAKING of adult swim, I've been looking at this Trinity Blood show lately. How do you feel about that one?

Among Hayao Miyazaki's bunch, Nausicaa of the Valley of the wind caught my eye (probably because I've never heard of it). What's that about?

Thanks alot, Giga!! :wave:
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Postby Gigafrost » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:54 pm

Rapscallion wrote:O.o I'm DEFINITELY talking to the right guy about this. :cheers alright. I have had alot of people tell me some good stuff about Cowboy Bebop, but would it be good to just watch the movie without watching any of the show?

Cowboy Bebop is, essentially, a bunch of unrelated episodes with a few "story" episodes mixed in there. Likewise, the Cowboy Bebop movie is stand-alone and could be watched without having seen the series at all. What you'll be missing is who the characters are. I think they do a good job of letting you know who Spike and Jet are, but Fei Valentine and Radical Edward aren't explained at all so... they're just sort of there.

That said, again, you can watch the movie without watching the series.

I've seen about the first five minutes of the first Ghost In a Shell movie. How is that one?

That one is a classic. I find it to be enjoyable. However, it's a bit philosophical so don't go in expecting a 100% action movie.

I AM interested in Fullmetal Alchemist, which I'll probably be watching on adult swim (they still play it, right? It's too bad that they took Trigun off :dogeyes: ).

I would guess they're still playing it, but the truth is that I've got no clue. Also, in this case, you definitely have to watch the entire series before watching the movie. The movie is, literally, an extension to the story.

SPEAKING of adult swim, I've been looking at this Trinity Blood show lately. How do you feel about that one?

Neat stuff here and there, but overall nothing to be excited about. The ending especially stunk. If you just watch it for the sake of having something on, or for the occasional, simple plot... I suppose you could go for it.

Basically, it's a world with vampires and humans. Our main character is a powerful individual who, despite initially looking like he'll be a combination of Vash The Stampede and Alucard (from Hellsing), it turns out that he simply has some of the weaker features of both. In other words, he doesn't have Vash's ability to affect change and he doesn't have Alucard's confidence / power.

Now, again, there are interesting things about it, but nothing really noteworthy.

Among Hayao Miyazaki's bunch, Nausicaa of the Valley of the wind caught my eye (probably because I've never heard of it). What's that about?

Nausicaa is actually the Miyazaki movie that was released here first... back in the 80s, massively butchered and called "Warriors of the Wind." (Just noting that in case you ever saw it.) The "Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind" DVDs that are out now are from Disney and are unmodified (as far as I've been able to tell.)

It's about a princess who likes / respects bugs and lives in a post-apocalypse scenario. But, that doesn't do it any service, so details:

The post-apocalypse scenario is that humans created something called a Fire Demon / God Warrior (depending on translation) which, for reasons unknown, burned a lot of the world in an incident referred to as "The Seven Days of Fire." However, they didn't burn everything. Still plenty of civilization. This isn't the "cross the desert" type of post-apocalypse scenario that probably came to mind.

Anyways, the real problem is the Toxic Jungle / Wasteland (depending on translation) that appeared afterwards. A rapidly growing forest of various plants that spewed out poison. Attempts to burn the jungle didn't work because of the occupants of the Toxic Jungle: giant insects.

Now, the princess in our situation comes from a rather peaceful (and small) country. She's not like your stereotypical "pretty dress" princess ; you should think of her more like a leader figure, out about and doing things. Of particular note is her interest in the Toxic Jungle and its giant insects.

However, after a certain incident, they find themselves stuck in the middle of a war between other, powerful countries, with ambitions...

(Most of this is backstory that is merely mentioned in the anime. The problem with this anime is it's better seen than talked about.)

Thanks alot, Giga!! :wave:

You're welcome. I hope this helped. :)
Gigafrost
Frost Weapon
Frost Weapon

Postby Rapscallion » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:35 am

It certainly has helped. :ja I'll probably keep consulting you with this in the future. Thanks alot!!
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Return to Entertainment Igloo