FFVII: Advent Children

A place to discuss movies, books, music and other forms of non-interactive entertainment. It also keeps your food cold.

Moderator: Rao

FFVII: Advent Children

Postby Icegaze » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:04 pm

Advent Children was released in the US yesterday. As I type, I am watching it for the third time. I bought it at Wal-Mart together with The Spirits Within for twenty bucks. Let me list out a few pros and cons for you guys:

Pros:
Mind-blowing CG grapics.
Nearly endless detailing.
Cloud's attire is no longer the purple, skin-tight unitard thing.
Lance Bass isn't Sephiroth.
Reno and Rude provide great comic relief.
True to the game elements like materia and limit breaks are there.
Great fight scenes.
Rufus is back.

Cons:
If you didn't play, beat, understand, or like FFVII you'll be lost. Very lost. The movie assumes you played the game and most likely beat it. Many of the characters appear out of nowhere with no introduction, like Barret, RedXIII, Yuffie, and Cait Sith/Reeve. Red XIII also only has one line in the movie, towards the end. If you didn't play FFVII, you'll probably end up saying "Holy sh*t! That thing talked!" Aeris' name is also never mentioned and the few seconds she's in the movie might confuse you.
Yuffie is annoying and shouldn't be in the movie.
The fact that Reno plays a larger role than Barret is sort of odd.

So, in conclusion, if you're an FFVII fan, you'll love this movie. Even if you're not, buy it for the action and the animation, not for the story.
Icegaze
Castle Guard

Postby Drazo » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:15 pm

The fact that Reno and Rude played a larger role than most of the main characters is sort of odd. I think there should've been more Cid, Red and Cait Sith.
[Don't watch here carefully]
Drazo
Heroic Guard

Postby Icegaze » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:25 pm

I also forgot to mention the killer soundtrack that makes the cryptic scenes more cryptic (the brainwashing of the children) and the kickass scenes more kickass (the fight with with Bahamut).

As for some of the characters being left out, I can understand Cait Sith and Yuffie, but Cid, Red, and especially Barret should be there. I mean, Marlene (Barret's daughter) has a major role. I think that the producers gave the characters their roles in response to their popularity. For example, Vincent and Reno are fan favorites and have important roles, where as nobody likes Cait Sith, so he doesn't do or say anything that matters in the movie.
Icegaze
Castle Guard

Postby chaotic century » Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:46 pm

I haven't played the game but I'm gonna get the movie anyway, but I do wanna try and get the game.
I am Chaotic Century King of the PointyShiney!
"this world is made of! this world is made of.. LOVE and PEACE!

neero is my master

it is foolish to listen to someone who will not listen to you
chaotic century
Heroic Guard

Return to Entertainment Igloo