most hell-like imagery

A place to discuss movies, books, music and other forms of non-interactive entertainment. It also keeps your food cold.

Moderator: Rao

most hell-like imagery

Postby TerraFrost » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:36 am

Playing The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time makes me wonder... what do ya'll think has the most hell-like imagery?

The fire cave in the Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time is kinda hell-like, as are parts of Morder, in the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy. Between those two, though, I think Zelda's is probably more hell-like. The Lord of the Rings trilogy kinda goes for erie, too - something that doesn't seem to be in the blatant depictions of hell.

There's a Stargate SG-1 episode that captures it kinda well, too.

I guess Mustafar - the planet where Anakin and Obi Wan duel each other in episode III - attempts to have a hell-like appearance, but it doesn't do a very good job, if that was the intent.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Dracofrost » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:44 am

Whadda ya mean Mustafar doesn't have a hell-like appearance? Just what depiction of hell are you basing that comparison off of, anyway?Dante's? Some televangelist's? Someone else's?
Dracofrost
Frost Drake
Frost Drake

Postby TerraFrost » Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:44 am

The depiction of hell that I have in mind is probably derived from a myriad of sources. The expression "fires of hell" makes me think it's a hot place, although I believe Dante's Inferno suggests that it's a cold place (kinda like Melkor's Helcaraxe, I guess). Also, the lord of hell - the Devil - is often portrayed as being red, with horns, and with a trident. This is the image that the FreeBSD logo was based on, was present in an ST:TNG episode, etc. The redness of the devil makes me think of fire and heat, too - not cold ice.

Ultimately, I don't really know where my "vision" of hell comes from.

As for my Mustafar comment - I dunno - it just doesn't seem like hell to me. One idea that comes to mind is that it just doesn't show any signs of civilization. The vision of hell I have has hell teeming with life. A kind-of life that derives pleasure from missery, but life, none-the-less. The SG-1 "portrayal" of it had it teeming with such life. The "depiction" in Zelda 64 doesn't have life, persay, but it does feature the Gorons being subjected to cruelty, I guess, and the song kinda helps, too, I think. In Mustafar, there's none of this. No life, no cruelty, etc.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Return to Entertainment Igloo