Anime movies: Appleseed and mindgame

A place to discuss movies, books, music and other forms of non-interactive entertainment. It also keeps your food cold.

Moderator: Rao

Anime movies: Appleseed and mindgame

Postby Roadkill » Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:35 am

I saw appleseed in walmart a couple weeks ago. It's just one of those curiosities that just happens, not at all unlike how i learned of gungrave. A random anime just all of the sudden appears in the popular part of the store, at the same price as any other DVD, yet there was no pre-advertising, or current advertising of its release. Eh?The extended edition, no less.

No, i didn't buy it. That was in May, and i didn't have a job or anywhere near enough money. so i can't advise you on the special features or the dubbing. Or, since i dled it from my favorite quality fansubbing source, can i say the sub is good either, on the DVD. More than likely, subs and dubs match up so you're getting the dubbed translation regardless.

Of course, when any oddity happens by this in walmart, i do some research. Apparently it was advertised and anticipated in several countries across the world, including france and japan. If any of you live in a large city, especially one known for cultural diversity, you may have happened across it in theatres.

How is it? Awesome. Animation is fantastic. it wasn't made really realistic (which i've come to despise in anime) like final fantasy, but the CGA was nonetheless breathtaking and awesome. some reviews says the music is well chosen but can sometimes run contrary to the scene, or atleast not capture how the mood should be, but it worked for me.

It's a fast movie. Lots of action, enough of a story, enough of a moral (any futuristic movie has to have one, you know). I thoroughly enjoyed it, recommended jsut for the sheer awesomeness, and the concept.

What's it about? Its a futuristic tale where the world has been plunged into world war 3 and has remained in a state of chaos for many many many years, and one particularly experienced soldier is picked up and shuttled off to a virtual Utopia. everyone lives in peace, no social problems, clean city, good architecture. How is it possible? Genetically constructed humans, called bioroids, which are programmed to be less emotional and mediate in disputes - taking the brunt of human emotions on themselves. The city is't run by a governor, per se, but by a self expanding network called Gaia, and 7 humans that are intended ot give decisions made by Gaia more compassion. How does it all relate. the girl picked up from the wastelands of world war 3... well i'll just say she's hot and leave you to see the movie for yourself.

On to mind game. It was just something available. I don't think you'll see many copies of DVDs for this one. Aparently its won atleast one award in the international film festival in... france, i think. Anyway, not imporatant. Comments said "it really was a mind game" so i dled it expecting a psychological thriller, which i think is more of a mind game. Boy was i surprised. Note to self: anything in an international film festival might not be like a conventional film.

the animation is artistic. gritty, dark, gloomy, at the beginning. Sharp angles. flatly drawn characters. Poor animation. Sometimes the faces of characters are superimposed with omdified real human faces, with of course emotional indicators (such as tears) drawn over them. Again, not like classic jap anima wiht giant sweat drops and th elike. If anything, i would compare it to more like a cartoon with sudden explosions and suddenly streaming tears at some points. As well as for other reasons later in the movie.

I don't think i'm going ot refrain myself from producing spoilers, so i warn you now that they will be in here. I relaly don't think any of you will be buying this film anyway, and i hope to prevent you from dong so unless you are a really really artistic type.

It starts out with a few principle characters. One girl, and one child-hood pervert lover hoping ot make it in the world of hentai. really obviously pathetic dude. She of course has a boyfriend, and is considering marriage. At this poin you run through a couple alternate versions of the scene played out as in the pathetic's mind. No, no hentai involved, just patheticness. disgusting. Eventually she goes to a the family bar, run by her sister, where they meet up with her boyfriend. they talk, enjoy eachothers company, when a psychopath busts in demanding to see the owner, followed by his cool headed brother. Events play out, boyfriend is knocked out, girl gets raped, and the pathetic dude, onishi (i remember now), makes himself get heard, and then is shot. He goes to heaven and is showed "from 5 different angles" how is brains got blown out. Then he meats the constantly shapeshifting God (all cartoonlike characters of varying cuteness, sluttiness, ugliness, beauty, etc) who tells him to walk to one portal to become nonexistant. but onishi runs the other way and becomes existant again, and this is where the movie gets really fucked up.

Onishi goes back to just before he is killed, ends up removing the gun from the insane dude, and killing him. Threatesn the dudes, brother, gets his car keys, grabs the two girls he loves (the girl and her sister who ran the bar), and runs away. there is a car chase and a discussion as the boss who sent the hitman calls the car phone. Onishi basically tells him off as 5 cars behind him start firing. He does a few insane and stupid stunts that would never work in real life. of ocurse, they never go exactly as planned and by the end of it they end up somehow in the belly of a whale. In the whale they meet a perverted old man who has been there most of his life. relationships blossom, and the cartoon gets even weirder. perverted not just in characters but in the cartoons themselves. At this point i was disgusted. But it's art, apparently so judge it however.

The whale ends up dieing and the guys have to try and excape over torrents and torrents of waves in a scene that seems to take forever. ...

And its as if it had never happened in the first place. The hitman fail to track thier target, so their never would be a confrontation or anthing and because of that pathetic nishi remains pathetic nishi for the rest of his life. The end.

It left me disgusted. I wiped it off my system soon after.
<center>The secret's in the wings...
Roadkill
Heroic Guard

Postby Gigafrost » Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:58 am

I've got the Appleseed Limited Edition DVD. I've seen it twice so far (once before I got the DVD...somebody brought it over, and once after I got it.) It's really neat. Even if the story/scenario doesn't particularly appeal to you, I think it's still worth checking out for the CGA alone. :)

I thought the style suited Deunan especially well. :)

(Haven't even heard of Mindgame... I don't know if I can comment about it...)
Gigafrost
Frost Weapon
Frost Weapon

Postby Roadkill » Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:10 am

i was more impressed by baireos (sp?). still very cool. i forgot to mention the ending -- food for thought.
Roadkill
Heroic Guard

Postby Wolfie » Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:23 pm

That would be, Briareos. Like Oreos, but not. >>

...I saw the movie a few weeks ago, but have yet to see anything else. Looked good.

...Oh, and yey for hot japanese mechanics like Yoshitsune. xp
ЀA†H comes like £iƒε,
sometimes forced and unwanted and sometimes loved and longed for.
How will you Ði€?™
Wolfie
Legendary Guard

Postby Roadkill » Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:46 pm

i see you've already developed tastes for people of a different species...

anyway, turns out their makings a sequel to appleseed due for release in 2006. A series and PS2 game are also marked for release in 2006. I'm not sure what to expect, but i do think this should be interesting.
Roadkill
Heroic Guard

Postby chaotic century » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:52 pm

The Appleseed your talking about is the new version right? My friend has the older one and I watched that. I wasn't too impressed, it was like GitS. But I've yet to see the one you all are talking about.
I am Chaotic Century King of the PointyShiney!
"this world is made of! this world is made of.. LOVE and PEACE!

neero is my master

it is foolish to listen to someone who will not listen to you
chaotic century
Heroic Guard

Postby Roadkill » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:23 pm

eh, if it's anything like GITS, i dunno how the old can possible be bad! I probably ought to see it.
Roadkill
Heroic Guard

Return to Entertainment Igloo