Gungrave, Samurai champloo!

A place to discuss movies, books, music and other forms of non-interactive entertainment. It also keeps your food cold.

Moderator: Rao

Gungrave, Samurai champloo!

Postby Roadkill » Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:49 pm

the first anime we consider is all about the mafia, and how the past will rise from the grave. two friends were initially in a close friendly gang that did work for the local small town mafia group so that they may maintain their lives and restaurant. However, things change when a thief gets something too well known to get rid of. Things happen, they return the jewel, but people die anyway. Harry Macdowel, Brandon Heat and their small gang are forced to escape, and return to their restaurant to find an innocent and loved chef murdered. Gang war errupts, and a leader gets threatened, but can't stand the fire. So his brother comes to do his bidding, an ace gunman with legendary skills. His only purpose is to Kill Harry MacDowel, the small gangs charismatic leader, and Brandon Heat, the best fighter. However, Brandon Heat's girlfriend gets mixed up, and her adoptive father is killed, and a big-town Mafia bodyguard kills the gunman without trouble. Maria is taken into the mafia family, and brandon never to see her again, if it weren't for his ambitious friend, Harry.

Wow, that's complicated. And that's just the beginning.

Harry ends up working his way through the orginization as an expert manager of an overqualified team, in which Brand is included. brandon hones his skills as a bodyguard until he is the best their is. However, even he cannot easily face this enemy -- Reanimated humans and animals. even defeated, harry cannot let such a technology slip back into nonexistance...

I've seen several episodes of this series, and its very long and drawn out but very good. ties in people very well and demonstrates the ways of human nature very well. In short, i like it. I never made it to where Harry is head of hte Mafia and Brandon has to be reanimated to kill him -- not even to where the betrayal occured. But it is very good, and very cool. check it out.

I don't watch just depressing or dramatic anime, and here's proof: Samurai Champloo. One peer sees it as an equal of cowboy bebop. Having seen only the first 4 episodes, i can't say it is really as deep thinking, but it certainly is very fun. 2 samurais face the corruption of gangs and established nobles, but are cornered by a cute over-energetic girl into helping her look for a "sunflower samurai". One is polite, well thought, efficient -- eerily reminds me of a mix between vash and spike. The second one is like wildfire, is not efficient, rude, and is always looking for trouble. While they are not friends per say, they are bound by the girl to keep from harming one enother, even though they try very hard to at times, each is too skillful for the other. It's very fun, ver funny, and there are morals to each episode. Also it is very spazzy, and the creators love to have fun and act cool and all. I give it a 5 just for that. Check it out. Back me up giga, or someone, i'm sure you've heard buzz about this by now.
<center>The secret's in the wings...
Roadkill
Heroic Guard

Postby chaotic century » Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:07 pm

I wanna get gungrave... jsut don't have the money. Plus I would prefer to get a boxed set
I am Chaotic Century King of the PointyShiney!
"this world is made of! this world is made of.. LOVE and PEACE!

neero is my master

it is foolish to listen to someone who will not listen to you
chaotic century
Heroic Guard

Postby Some Unreg Punk » Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:42 pm

wait, didn't the game sucked? yeah i know the anime might not follow in the same suit...but then again why chance it? i'll watch something else.
Some Unreg Punk
Castle Guard

Postby Roadkill » Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:30 pm

don't let it keep you from samarai champloo, though! that one's a great one!
<center>The secret's in the wings...
Roadkill
Heroic Guard

Return to Entertainment Igloo