Texhnolyze

A place to discuss movies, books, music and other forms of non-interactive entertainment. It also keeps your food cold.

Moderator: Rao

Texhnolyze

Postby Roadkill » Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:25 am

Just got done watching the last episode. Holy shit. many times better than lain. Very, very moving. i'll give details/reveiw later. But trust me. The first episode makes almost no sense, but talking and character interaction picks up after the first episode or 2. It is well worth your time.
<center>The secret's in the wings...
Roadkill
Heroic Guard

Postby ChatOmbre » Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:37 am

Ooh, do tell more!
Queen of the PointyShiney

"Too much ink is drawn to describe and define love. Why describe it and define it? Take my hand and let's just take a ride through it. Love is... Love is... Let's just go for awhile, leaving ourselves for each other." --Mike Smith
ChatOmbre
Heroic Guard

Postby Roadkill » Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:07 pm

Alright. First off, this series is NOT a happy one. If you don't like things that aren't hollywood, then this is not for you. Second, this is the bloodiest anime i have ever seen -- doesn't mean much as i have not seen many, but there is ALOT of blood and destruction, especially later on. Third... i'll get to that.

Story
Ichise is a fighter. He is sent in night after night to kill another opponent, for betting and amusement of upperclass businessmen. After such a fight, a man sends in his hoe to satisfy him, but he just sits there through the whole expereience, so the hoe sticks a fingernail in his eye, and he slaps her off. Thus begins our story.

In Lucos, the city under the ground, people mine Rafia (or Lafia based on a different translation), an important element for texhnolyzation, and trade it with the above world. Texhnolyzation replaces lost limbs with fully capable robotic ones -- for the rich. thus, custom for dealing with offensive people is to cut off a limb. Legless, armless, and texhnolyze people are not uncommon.

there are 4 factions in Lucos -- the citizens of Gabe, those who reside nearest the upper level stairway, who worship a sear, and live only as the way she sees the future. In the main city itself is the organo, the racan, and an orginization i forget the name of. The Organo run the city, while the Racan are the rebels that oppose it, and then this faction off to the side that preaches against texhnolyzation is offensive to Gabe and the Organo.

The introduction begins with Ichise being punished for slapping the bitch, and a visitor from aboveground coming down for his own obscure purposes.

Graphics -- 4.7 I'm pretty sure the lesser quality graphics are always intentional (there's not much). However, the director uses a lot of fixating-on-objects-in-the-scene. It helps set the scene better, sometimes, but it is used to excess at the beginning, which may discourage certain audiences. Overall though, i had no problem. Same artist who did lain did this, but the city detail is a little better, mostly because it is more gothic, wearing down style.

plot -- 4.5 I liked the story. It is a sad story, as well as a violent one. It is displayed in post-modernism (or 'cyberpunk') fashion. You see only what is happening, nothing more. There is no explanation, unless it is after the event has happened and only then if it builds the sensation in the veiwers mind. Once you get over hlaf way through the series, the themes becomes very powerful and noticeable. The endind just leaves you there, in shock. However, the way the first couple episodes are just an extended introduction, and immediatley afterwards the story just shifts. A climax then a fall almost back to the bottom. yet it cannot count too much off because they end up tieing that in with the whole way of things. great, but with a little draw back. 4.25

Sound -- 4 There isn't much music to speak of, and while i like the intro music, the end music i'm not too fond of until the last episode. The audio quality in the series is great, and it all sounds realistic and yada yada yada. It's all gravy.

Animation -- 5 it's not really necessary to judge this, i think. Any jumpy or jerky animation i think is the intent of the director, but there is none of that in this anime.

Now, let me warn you. once you really start getting into it, the story will make you analyze things, and at some point you'll see some frightening analogies. You think horror has to be ugly corpses and images jumpoing ot at you and murderers hiding in closets? Well, you have a whole new thing coming for you.So, just be wary that in order to get the full umph of it you will have to analyze and you will have to think.

It's a great series, i love it, if i had money i'd buy it. I'm certainly going to be looking for other series by these people (they did Lain and Hellsing), and i like their characteristic quirks. I'd put this anime way up there.

Watch it!
<center>The secret's in the wings...
Roadkill
Heroic Guard

Return to Entertainment Igloo