Anime...

A place to discuss movies, books, music and other forms of non-interactive entertainment. It also keeps your food cold.

Moderator: Rao

Anime...

Postby Gigafrost » Fri Dec 24, 2004 6:13 am

Naruto...Apollo brought it over on CD so that we could see it but he forgot to include a group of episodes. So, in preparation, I deleted many things off of my anime computer (such as Counter-Strike and the Diablo 2 MPQ files) to prepare to download them but it ended up that I didn't need to. So, with so much extra disk space I obviously started exploring some more unliscenced anime. This time it's quite the weird batch. This isn't exactly a review, but rather an "impressions" of two of them...

Futakoi
This one is the first one I'd like to mention because it's the weirdest while also being the simplest to demonstrate why. Perhaps y'all are familiar with the classic "harem" anime theme? Those would be anime where an individual (usually a guy) gathers multiple other people (usually girls) that have a crush on the individual (trying to get his attention or affection or whatever). Well, Futakoi is basically a harem anime with one important difference: instead of the usual 5-6 girls going for one guy I can guarantee that there's at least 4...pairs of twins! It's...well...I've attached an image I created from the intro so that ya'll can see.

Pretty much, it's about a town where there's a legend about a guy and twin girls who loved eachother but the girls would not be able to marry the guy so the girls turned into birds and flew away. Or something like that. Anyways, that's supposed to be why there are so many twin girls born in the town, and I guess the guy is THE guy from the legend reborn or something. Unfortunately, it gets irritating when each pair of twins has somebody that's rediculously possessive of them. To the point where it's increadibly annoying (although episode 4 wasn't so bad, probably because those assholes from the fan club weren't in it).

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha
Granted, it's a magical girl anime but I downloaded the first episode to check it out anyways since I'm not dead-set against the genre. In any case, it's pretty cliche'. There's even an animal companion...a ferret. Anyways, of particular interest in this anime is the odd animation. Character design and drawings are pretty standard but some scenes are animated very unusually for most anime. At least for a few scenes. It didn't really stand out outside of the dinner scene, but it was very obvious that they were doing something different when I first saw that part. Anyways, I've taken the dinner scene, resized\recompressed it to a 1.62mb zip if y'all want to see what I mean:

http://www.kraftfam.org/~erk/fj/mgln.zip

(Although you'll need XVID to play it)
Attachments
Futakoi.jpg
Too much of a good thing?
Futakoi.jpg (49.91 KiB) Viewed 2789 times
Gigafrost
Frost Weapon
Frost Weapon

Postby chaotic century » Fri Dec 24, 2004 6:04 pm

i think i might have seen that first one before. ( well more read about it in my newtype usa lol) but those r some interesting choices there giga lol.
I am Chaotic Century King of the PointyShiney!
"this world is made of! this world is made of.. LOVE and PEACE!

neero is my master

it is foolish to listen to someone who will not listen to you
chaotic century
Heroic Guard

Postby Gigafrost » Sat Dec 25, 2004 5:59 pm

Well, those are only the ones with a peculiarity (as far as anime goes) that I thought I'd mention. I'm downloading other anime as well (although I might be downloading forever soon...see "gifts" for why...)
Gigafrost
Frost Weapon
Frost Weapon

Postby BattleFrost » Sat Jan 08, 2005 3:37 am

Well at least one of the twins wears glasses and the other one doesn't so you can tell them apart. :lol
BattleFrost
Frost Tactician
Frost Tactician

Postby Gigafrost » Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:52 am

Although I'm not sure how much they really "like" him. They don't really hang around him, but he sees the one with glasses every day because she's his teacher (while her twin is the school nurse). The intro seems to suggest that they'd be more in the "group" though.

The twins with glasses definately like him. The only obstacle about their relationship with him is that they're trying to set him up with other twins that they know like him (or he likes?).

The twins right next to them haven't even been seen in the first 7 episodes.

The two black haired girls are sure that he's their first love. The only real obstacle here is that they're super rich and the main butler didn't seem to like him (although I'm glad they really played that down a whole lot after that episode).

The twins in between them are childhood friends that promised to marry. It's hardest to tell what they think about him. They have a fan club that likes to violently (and secretly? wtf?) keep people from getting to "know" the twins while stalking (secretly? wtf?) the twins at the same time.

The two little girl twins like him (and have also said they want to marry him) and like to remind him not to cheat on them. Their pet goat simply hates him, although interestingly it protected him from an alligator. Although I think he'd still be better off cooked & eaten.

Also not in that intro picture is the two childhood guy friends (not twins). One likes one of the black-haired twins, the other likes one of the childhood twins. Since they're not in the above "group", though, I think the group is less about the group of fields and more about the love octahexoctaparrallellogram-thingy.

Well, it's okay, nothing spectacular, often irritating. According to ANIDB, it's only planned to have 13 episodes so it's just past the half-way point. Hmmm...
Gigafrost
Frost Weapon
Frost Weapon

Postby Gigafrost » Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:30 pm

Well, this is definately the appropriate place to talk about Futakoi (the twin anime) a bit more. Basically, the final pair of twins that I mentioned I hadn't seen before did appear. They're easy to tell apart because of their personality (one is timid, the other violently agressive). Although that's only a minor issue now.

Recently, the second season began airing. The description had, before, mentioned something about Futakoi changing mid-season, but not many people understood what that meant. Well, it's pretty much a completely different anime with the same characters. It's a much bigger difference than the difference between the Tenchi Muyo series. In those, the characters stay the same and the general theme stays the same. Not so in this case.

***Note: Episode 1 of Futakoi Alternative spoiled (a bit?)***

Futakoi (IE, the first 13 episodes, which I'll call "the first") was a romantic comedy. Pretty standard lifestyle and all that. Futakoi Alternative (the new episodes airing now) is difficult to judge atm (since I've only seen the first episode) but thus far it has only been action, action, action. Only two pairs of twins have been seen. The black-haired rich girls from the first battle some sort of slime monster that's attacking their aircraft (plenty of bullets, dodging, rockets, explosions, parachute as their plane explodes, etc). The two "final" twins from the first are assistant detectives to the guy (in other words, they're closer to being the main twins this time as opposed to appearing for a few episodes in the first). The guy is a detective, but he's in trouble with some group (he ends up defeating this huge guy at boxing). The timid twin is cooking croquets for a lady at her store (because she burned her hands). The agressive twin, however, is protecting a guy from debt collectors which involves explosions, bullets, motorcycle chaces (including stunts), and such. Oh, and every minute or so the activities pause to introduce some character (10 of the twins haven't even been introduced?!?), and episode one finishes with a crazy-looking cop, a (mafia?) person, and a debt collector in a three-way standoff (or more specifically, each has a gun in each hand and is pointing it at the other two and they're arguing a bunch).

So, not quite a romantic comedy, eh? Actually, it'd be hard to set it up as a one, I think. The two assistant detectives are actually really really close to the guy already. But, I have to say I'm interested in seeing where they're planning on going with this high action (and well animated, imo) piece. :)

EDIT: Now that I'm home and have been able to actively check it out, it's not the two rich girls that were battling the weird slime thing, but the two little girls! O.o
Gigafrost
Frost Weapon
Frost Weapon

Return to Entertainment Igloo