Galaxy Angels vs Tenchi GXP

A place to discuss movies, books, music and other forms of non-interactive entertainment. It also keeps your food cold.

Moderator: Rao

Which one?

Tenchi Muyo! GXP
No votes
Galaxy Angel
100%
All of the above
No votes
Anime sucks!
No votes
None of the above
No votes

Total votes : 1

Galaxy Angels vs Tenchi GXP

Postby Gigafrost » Sun Dec 19, 2004 7:56 pm

So, it occured to me while watching Galaxy Angel that it somewhat contrasts Tenchi Muyo GXP in a few ways.

Tenchi Muyo! GXP:
-About a single guy
-Yamada has supernaturally bad luck
-Helper robot is annoying with his perversion
-Fan service
-Name + guest appearances from a better-known anime
-Has a plot\story
-Characters are less cute, more sexy (?)
http://anidb.ath.cx/perl-bin/animedb.pl ... me&aid=358

Galaxy Angel:
-About a group of (five) people
-Milfuelle has supernaturally good luck
-Helper robot is annoying with his sharp tongue
-No fan service
-Not built upon characters and names from other anime
-Every individual episode is a plot\story
-Characters are made to be cute
http://anidb.ath.cx/perl-bin/animedb.pl ... me&aid=108

Granted, there are major differences between all anime, but I guess the "character has supernaturally ___ luck" is why I thought about this, hehehe. As for the (?) by the "less cute, more sexy" issue, I didn't want to list a point completely degrading an anime for so small an issue. It's mostly that, compared to Galaxy Angel (GA), GXP simply doesn't have "cute" characters.

Anyways, that said, I currently like Galaxy Angel more than GXP for a few reasons.

-In GXP, Yamada's incredibly bad luck is being used for good luck, which sort of contradicts the premiss I suppose. It's funny but I guess I enjoy the GA approach better.

-The helper robot in GXP is too annoying for my tastes. That and the sharp tongue of the helper robot in GA I actually found funny.

-I don't hate all fan service. In fact, I enjoy well-placed fan service. GXP seemed to rub me the wrong way. The fan service seemed poorly timed (I got the feeling of interrupted story progress). I know it can be done right, though, because Mahoromatic had a lot of it.

-Although I like good storylines, GXP's wasn't so spectacular to put it ahead of GA in terms of enjoyability.

-I like anime with cute characters. :)

So, what do y'all think?
Gigafrost
Frost Weapon
Frost Weapon

Postby Evlfrost » Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:36 pm

I have yet to see either.
Evljsh: You're young and thus illegal!
xXOkashiiSuruXx: -falls over-

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Postby Gigafrost » Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:15 am

Well, now you've seen Galaxy Angels! :)

On a sort of related note, there's another two anime which are much more similar with subtler differences. In the case of these two anime, though, they're both still unliscenced (for anybody who's interested).

The general idea of both these anime is an arranged marriage by the government, the girl moving in with the guy overenthusiastically and the guy absolutely despising it. Those two anime are Rizelmine and Final Approach. There are a few smaller differences, though...

-In Rizelmine, 'Rizel' is some sort of artificial human...and when she cries her tears have a nytroglycerin property (IE, explosions all around her) as a gag.

-The guy in Final Approach has a sister.

-The guy in Rizelmine prefers older women.

-There are only three government agents assisting Rizel in Rizelmine (of course the government helps them too) and they are pretty much secondary characters (I think with names, different personalities, one has a daughter that's part of the story, etc...) whereas the government agents in Final Approach are very numerous and nameless.

-The characters in Final Approach are roughly 3 years older. (Rizelmine: She - 12, He - 15?) (Final Approach: She - 15, He - 17)

-The girl in Final Approach seems to have more training (drugging food, for example. Rizel, on the other hand, cried all the time and was in general a little girl...)

Well, I don't want to go on too much about that, but I've only recently started watching Final Approach (thanks to the disk space I cleared up in case I needed to download Naruto episodes which it turned out it didn't need to so I didn't). Actually, I've experimented with a few anime with some interesting results. For example, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha is pretty much your cliche' magical girl anime but the animation is rather interesting and very non-standard, yet the drawing style is still very cute (usually animations sacrifice the anime-cuteness when experimenting with odd animation, methinks)

Anywho, I guess I've babbled on a bit much, heh.
Gigafrost
Frost Weapon
Frost Weapon

Return to Entertainment Igloo