Ghost in the Shell: Innocence

A place to discuss movies, books, music and other forms of non-interactive entertainment. It also keeps your food cold.

Moderator: Rao

Ghost in the Shell: Innocence

Postby Roadkill » Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:26 pm

i think my comments on the movie will be somewhat biases because i enjoyed ghost in the shell, and love the series (though i've only seen the first DVD).

So it makes sense that this sequel is even better than the original and the series.

The first thing you will note is the computer enhanced graphics. Beautiful. They blend the computer and drawn graphics PERFECTLY. I do not think you can EVER get better with graphics than this gets.

then the story. as was in the series and movies, robots start coming to life and doing things on their own. i will say the end seemed kinda dissappointing with all the plot seeming to point to something higher. But only slightly slow, theres a red herring thrown in there to keep you from being dissappointed. The story itself is a philosophical maze. I saw a fansubbed version from a kick ass anime fansubbing group, and they will put in nice little notes about what they are referring to. It seems they are quoting famous poets, philospohers, mathmaticians, and others from all over the world every scene. And it fits. I was very impressed. I have alot to learn.

the characters. considering the director (Mamoru Oshii) did the first ghost in the shell, and Jin Roh, i would have been surprised to find this area lacking. In fact, he seems to have gotten better, and probes the characters a little more with his seemingly new found philosophy degree (he would have to have one to put in all those quotes, right?). As GitS seems to always do, the characters, or alteast hte main one, has a "sherlock holmes" quality about him, as they always seem to be one step further ahead than everyone else -- correctly predicting surprises, somehow. But it doesn't spoil the story.

The corpse and robotic graphics, as i have said, have gotten better. But this is not a story about action. The only "boss-type" fight scene is rather short, and not very entertaining, and has that video game quality -- showing up somehow right when the boss needs him. that is the only thing i didn't like -- seemed convenient to wrap up the mystery of the guy with the ilegally powerful upgrades.

But overall, better than any other movie. I think i'll keep the fansubbed version and find a DVD burner. Mamoru Oshii's movies, i've discovered, should not be bought as amaerican releases -- the american sub is made to match the english dub, which is made to match th emouth movements. It destroys the language of the story, and i was dissappointed with tthe way the voices changed the appearance of the character in the american Jin Roh release. So, staying true to the real script, go for the original japanese version, with an english sub available.

PURE OOHSOMENESS!
<center>The secret's in the wings...
Roadkill
Heroic Guard

Postby Rapscallion » Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:17 am

innocence? that's a sensual title.
:D
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Postby Murrian » Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:55 am

Big Gits fan - it was the first DVD i bough when i got a dvd (the irony of course buying a dvd player to get higher quality images and then buying a "cartoon")
Have all 26 fansubs of the first series and upto 15 on 2nd gig, found laughing man fansubs to be the best, as in easiest to understand, some of the other translations confuse me a bit, i think they translate it a little too literlary.
Shame Bandai bought the rights to the first series, after 26 out of 40 eps i really wnat to know what happened about the laughing man, especially as its reffered to in the second series, but once an international distrubutor is secured they stop releasing the fansubs :(
Watched the hawk dub of innocence and tbh got rather confused halfway through, could've done with a better translation, or a better brain ;)
All in all though a very good movie with a great underlying philosophy.
Murrian
Townfolk

Postby chaotic century » Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:11 pm

i never got to see it.. lol it wasnt playing anywhere close by n i could never get a ride. but man now i wanna see it even more!
I am Chaotic Century King of the PointyShiney!
"this world is made of! this world is made of.. LOVE and PEACE!

neero is my master

it is foolish to listen to someone who will not listen to you
chaotic century
Heroic Guard

Postby BattleFrost » Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:16 pm

Dammit Dammit I missed another good anime that was out in the movie theaters. Dam I need to find a way to get a newspaper at my dorm. :(
BattleFrost
Frost Tactician
Frost Tactician

Postby Roadkill » Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:00 pm

do foreign films ever make it to american theatres? they never do in my area...
<center>The secret's in the wings...
Roadkill
Heroic Guard

Postby Wolfie » Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:06 pm

Fah, I need moneh. D:

The only ghost in the shell I've seen is Stand Alone Complex, and that's the stupid dubbed version on CN. Dx;.

Looks cool though, either way I'll look into buying or downloading it sometime soon.
ЀA†H comes like £iƒε,
sometimes forced and unwanted and sometimes loved and longed for.
How will you Ði€?™
Wolfie
Legendary Guard

Return to Entertainment Igloo