star wars news

A place to discuss movies, books, music and other forms of non-interactive entertainment. It also keeps your food cold.

Moderator: Rao

Postby TerraFrost » Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:00 pm

considering that i don't think even yoda's species has been revealed, i doubt general grievious' species will. it looks like he might be partially andriod (clone wars revealed some info about him, but i forget the info, off hand)...

anyway, as yet another update, heh...

Lucas to make more Star Wars?

21/08/2004 - 22:18:27 Star Wars creator George Lucas could be poised to make three sequels to the original space opera trilogy, according to insiders at Lucasfilm.

Star Wars creator George Lucas could be poised to make three sequels to the original space opera trilogy, according to insiders at Lucasfilm.

According to fan site Theforce.net, employees at Lucas's company Industrial Light and Magic have all been made to sign non-disclosure agreements to promise not to talk about the possibility of episode's seven, eight and nine being made.

Now industry insiders are predicting the director will make the follow-ups, which pick up where 1983's Return of the Jedi left off, despite insisting he would never be lured into filming them.

A posting on the site says, "You didn't hear this from me, but you might be curious as to why everyone at ILM just signed NDA's saying that they will not discuss Star Wars episodes 7, 8, or 9.

"Since they're not being made, why the NDA's? Of course, since when has Lucas been consistent?"

source
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Rao » Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:40 pm

I hope he makes them, they will be kick ass.
Tell the Spartans, Stranger passing by,
That here, Obedient to their laws, We lie,
Rao
Elite Guard

Postby Rapscallion » Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:47 pm

who would play as luke?? :|
:D
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Postby Megafrost » Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:08 am

It's possible Luke won't be in it. You don't know how far into the future episode 7 would be.
The universe is mine and all shall bow before the might of Megafrost, master of Orion, master of the universe...
Megafrost
Frost Blacksmith
Frost Blacksmith

Postby Rao » Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:37 am

yeah, luke is in them. (i read da books man) Also, if anyone is to play Luke, i would assume it would be Brad Pitt or Matt Damon. I was thinking sumone esle, but i forgot.
Tell the Spartans, Stranger passing by,
That here, Obedient to their laws, We lie,
Rao
Elite Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Sat Sep 11, 2004 12:05 am

according to USA Today, there are indeed some changes being made:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/new ... main_x.htm

one of the changes described - where hayden christian makes a cameo - was something that was posted about earlier, in this thread:

http://www.frostjedi.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=6348

although the first part still seems to be a joke, the second part, i guess, isn't, since it includes actual video clips of the scene where hayden christianson has been added in.

anyway, another article, along with a kinda odd pic can be found here:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic ... 95,00.html

finally, an interesting article on the restoration of the film for the digitization of the orig. trilogy:

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/techi ... wars_x.htm
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:19 pm

an interview with george lucas, in which he justifies his not releasing of the orig. trilogy on dvd, discusses his plans for the future of star wars, et al, can be found here:

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/ap/2004091 ... 62000.html
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:47 pm

in the above interview, george lucas defends his not releasing of the orig. DVD's by saying that the new ones are the ones he had originally intended to create, but couldn't, due to time / money constraints, among other things.

i just find that kinda funny, when thinking about it, 'cause i find it hard to imagine that george lucas had intended to have darth vader played by hayden christianson (a new scene in RotJ) when he was originally filming star wars. i mean, hayden christianson was 2, at that time (according to his imdb profile)...

regarding the name of star wars ep 3 - revenge of the sith - i think return of the sith would have been a much better name. although that said, i suppose revenge of the sith isn't uber bad, either, as return of the jedi was originally gonna be called revenge of the jedi (until it was decided that revenge was petty, and that the jedi weren't petty).
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:34 am

on a barely related note, here's a funny comic regarding george lucases remakes:

http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20040919
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby ChatOmbre » Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:25 pm

yay for User Friendly! ^_^
Queen of the PointyShiney

"Too much ink is drawn to describe and define love. Why describe it and define it? Take my hand and let's just take a ride through it. Love is... Love is... Let's just go for awhile, leaving ourselves for each other." --Mike Smith
ChatOmbre
Heroic Guard

Postby Rapscallion » Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:00 pm

that is funny.... :lol .........but scary. O.o
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:11 am

a description of the first trailer for revenge of the sith:

[spoiler]The first half of trailer consists of ... (begin spoilers - highlight to read) a familiar voice over with Alec Guinness. Fans will love to hear him speak his monologue to Luke from A New Hope about "Jedi Knights always being the guardians of peace." As we hear these familiar phrases, they've intercut shots from various Star Wars episodes, excluding Episode 3. Only when the monologue ends with "Vader was seduced by the dark side of the Force" about 40 seconds into the trailer do we see the face of Anakin. He is partly covered with dark hood, looking positively evil.

This is followed by the shot of erupting volcanoes, then some sort of volcanic field with crab-like creatures and then darkness, all accompanied by Vader breathing. Then the following is heard:

Sidious: "Lord Vader..."

Vader: "Yes?"

Sidious: "Rise."

Then we see Anakin in full Vader gear rising on some sort of operating table to which he is chained. The rising is slow and is intercut with shot of various Star Wars main characters. When the table has fully risen so that Vader is basically standing upright, the meatiest part of trailer begins, with many, many shots from Episode III. Most of them are very, very short - this will be something for freeze-frame fanatics to analyze.

The ones that stuck in my memory:

Dozens of Wookiees on some sort of floating platform.

Padme with signature Leia hairdo.

The Tri-Fighter, aka the precursor to the TIE fighter with three curving wings and guns mounted between each wing. They shoot red lasers.

The ARC Clonefigthter, aka the precursor to X-Wing, with three wings on each side.

A gigantic starship being sprayed by streams of something that looks like dense acid.

The trailer ends with the title "THE SAGA IS COMPLETE - MAY 2005" and ... (end spoilers) is about 100 seconds long. [/spoiler]

[spoiler]Anakin's reply to Palpatine is Yes, Master? and not just "Yes" and previsouly reported. Sweet. It is said somehow questioningly, as if he is not exactly sure what is happening.

Palpatine's "Riiiiiiiiise" is so devilish and long, they've clearly spent some time on making this section of the film perfect. Still finding it hard to believe they are going to show this section so early. Wow.

We've been told that the voice of Vader is ... close ... but definitely sounds different from the original Darth Vader. There should be no doubt that Lucas could make him sound perfectly like the classic Vader if he wanted, so this must be intentional. After all, it's logical that teenage Anakin under the Vader mask sounds slightly different than old Anakin in Episode IV under the same mask. We think it is either an early cut without finished effects (voice and visual) or Hayden Christensen's voice modulated through some advanced filters to sound very, very much like Jones. If you played this to casual moviegoer, he or she may not even notice any difference from Vader's classic voice.

And to clarify an earlier point or two, the lines of dialogue we posted are spoken over completely black screen right after the volcanic field shot. And the Tri-fighter we mentioned is actually the new Jedi starfighter.

There are no mechanical characters in the trailer except R2D2 and C3PO, not even for a split second. There is someone with sharp teeth and humanoid head, slightly resembling the alien from Enemy Mine. Someone should post a picture here for comparison, though it might just be Tion Meddon. So unless its the off chance that is Grievous unmasked, the Droid General does not figure into this first trailer.[/spoiler]
source
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Rapscallion » Sun Oct 17, 2004 2:43 pm

r these trailers out in theaters yet?
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:29 pm

no.

anyway, although it's not really news, persay, heh, here's some comparisons between the orig. movies, the special ed. ones, and the ones that were release on dvd:

star wars: episode iv
star wars: episode v
star wars episode vi (comparison not yet done)

and here's an article that discusses the computers that Lowry digital used to restore Star Wars:

http://www.apple.com/pro/film/lowry/starwars/
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Rapscallion » Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:23 pm

on the 6th 1, they edited Hayden Christianson as Anakin's ghost.
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

PreviousNext

Return to Entertainment Igloo