Gigafrost's Anime Reviews...

A place to discuss movies, books, music and other forms of non-interactive entertainment. It also keeps your food cold.

Moderator: Rao

Postby Evlfrost » Thu Jul 31, 2003 8:51 pm

Terra the problem of doing Chobits next is that Giga hasnt seen all of it.
Evljsh: You're young and thus illegal!
xXOkashiiSuruXx: -falls over-

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Postby Gigafrost » Mon Oct 13, 2003 2:43 am

Well, I think I want to give a review for an anime I've recently watched a couple of times through...

FLCL (or Furi Kuri)
Naoto isn't very old and his brother (a powerful baseball batter) has gone to America, leaving behind his homeless girlfriend, who might have a thing for Naoto. Things turn strange when Naoto gets hit by a moped driven by the guitar-wielding and psychotic Haruko. Now there are robot battles going on in town...robots built by Medical Mechanica, who also built the strange factory in the middle of town. In addition, Haruko can swing her guitar really hard and uses it to fight the robots. Things have gotten strange, and they'll only get stranger in this 6 episode series...

Animation: 5
Possibly one of the weirdest series I can think of animation-wise. In the series, they use various animation styles for short periods of time, but there's a main style used for combat and most scenes. Overall, the animation for this series comes out as AWESOME. It's sort of hard to describe, but it's really good, and incredibly cool in battles!

Story: 5
The story is random and chaotic until you've seen the whole series and know what's going on, but it's addictive somehow. Once you've watched the series through once, it all makes sense. This is perfect, though, as you don't know what's going to hit next. This allows the series to maintain it climatic appeal and to keep the watcher guessing as to what's going to happen next. Naturally, the robot battles are unique, since this is Gainax we're talking about (they made Evangelion).

Music: 5
Well, the music to the series, for the most part, is rock music done by The Pillows, but this isn't your "typical" modern day rock music. Some of the slower songs remind me of the beetles, and the higher-paced songs are perfect for the battles. No need to deal with people screaming as loud as possible, and sing off-key, or anything. The music also severely enhances the mood for scenes, making them way more exciting or desperate, much like the effect the music of Evangelion did for that series.

Sound: 4.5
The sounds were executed flawlessly in the series, and even though there wasn't anything particularly special about any of them, the timing and complexity of the sounds actually sort of makes up for that. The voices are really weird, even in the japanese version, and don't always seem to match the faces. It makes me wonder what the english version will be like...

Characters: 5
Not many characters in the series, but they develope them pretty deeply, especially considering they only have 6 episodes. That said, there is a very good variety of characters, and the average population doesn't seem like a bunch of idiots...well, for the most part.

Execution: 5
This series has a very addictive blend of humor, action, and character development. Although the series is quite confusing the first time you watch it. I consider it to be much more confusing than Serial Experiments Lain, but it resolves better...or rather, I mean that once you've watched it you'll be more likely to understand what's going on than in Serial Experiments Lain. An interesting note is I can't think of any other anime where girls got the classic "nosebleed" that has usually only been a male phenominom in anime...
Gigafrost
Frost Weapon
Frost Weapon

Postby shadows_revenge » Tue Oct 14, 2003 2:54 am

Those are some really good and detailed reports. Some of those animes I have seen and some of those I never heard of. Nice Work :)
"I promis you, Revenge!"
-Shadow
shadows_revenge
Recruit

Postby Icegaze » Tue Oct 14, 2003 11:37 pm

I think the point about DBZ was totally to the point. I was in fifth grade when Goku battled Freeza. That's when I lost interest in all anime. That five minute battle did take so long. And I understand that since they are so strong, they can move fast, but they spend at least ten minutes an episode standing around. I like Trigun though, because theres a good amount of battles and other stuff, and it brings a lot of comedy to an action series. But I personally don't like the flashbacks, which take an entire episode and deprive you of the series, but they give a good background. I also don't like how Trigun's episodes are so short and the fact that the series is short, too. You should do Bebop next, an interesting series, but kind of boring at times. Look at me, this isn't my anime thread! Sorry Giga.
Icegaze
Castle Guard

Postby Gigafrost » Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:48 pm

Well, I've seen the title now and then, and I thought that it would be interesting to check out, and yesterday I was reminded about it when I took Draco and Chronofrost to lessons. Checking it out on-line, people had some interesting things to say about it, so I bought it today, and here's my review for...

Voices of A Distant Star
It's not exactly a movie, and not exactly a series either. It's a 30 minute long self-contained "short story" I suppose. As for the story summary, I'll just type up what's on the back of the DVD case...

It is 2046 when a mysterious alien force begins their annihilation of the human race. Leaving behind the one person she loves, Mikako joins the interstellar battle as a pilot. As Mikako flies further into space, her only connection with Noboru are text messages sent from her mobile phone.

And so - while Mikako risks her life to save mankind - Noboru waits. At first days, then months, then years for each new message that will let him know whether Mikako is still alive. And, while she barely grows older in the timelessness of space, Noboru ages. The two lovers, worlds apart, desperately strive to remain connected as the gap between them widens at a frightening pace.

Animation: 4.5
The animation for this is sort of interesting, since it was all done by a single person, Mikato Shinkai, over 27 months, apparently. Nothing ground-breaking, and it all looks really good. The colors are magnificent, which is one reason the cover grabbed my attention.

Story: 4.5
It's a pretty good story too, although I would have liked for it to go on longer and stuff. Although that said, it was quite enjoyable. It was written by Mikato Shinkai who also did all the animation.

I can't really think of any appropriate music, but really I was too engrossed in the story to notice most of it. But, what I remember of the music was that it was there was some pretty well done piano music.

Sound: 5
The english dub seemed pretty good. I've heard people complain about the addition of a few cuss words, though. I thought that the sounds were done really well. At least, nothing sounded stupid.

Characters: 3.
The story is only focused on the seperated couple, but this is good because of how short it is. So, naturally, those characters are expressed really well! I'd say the anime gets a low character rating because if you're into anime for the characters, this doesn't give too much, but really it adds to the Execution score.

Execution: 4.5
Not the perfect anime, but I guess it was really good. I could see how people might not like it, but I'll just sum it up like all the reviews I read: it's a work of art. It's not like buying just an anime, but something an individual put his time and heart into.
Gigafrost
Frost Weapon
Frost Weapon

Postby Evlfrost » Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:07 am

Yes you said you were going to buy that today...Hopefully I can see it soon. And get back my book that you are keeping hostage....

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Postby Gigafrost » Mon Oct 27, 2003 2:23 am

Update on "Voices of A Distant Star"

I was able to listen to the japanese dub today. It's good as well, although there are aspects of both dubs that I like. I'd suggest that y'all check them both out...
Gigafrost
Frost Weapon
Frost Weapon

Postby Icegaze » Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:15 am

It looks like anime is making a slight comeback in the world today. The T Mobile commercials are a very good anime series. :lila
Icegaze
Castle Guard

Postby chaotic century » Mon Dec 15, 2003 4:24 pm

thats what it is i was just talking to giga bout it icouldnt remember what it was. yeah anime is probably the best thing ever.i wish i had cable!
I am Chaotic Century King of the PointyShiney!
"this world is made of! this world is made of.. LOVE and PEACE!

neero is my master

it is foolish to listen to someone who will not listen to you
chaotic century
Heroic Guard

Postby Dracofrost » Mon Dec 15, 2003 5:30 pm

Hey, giga. You should review on the first disk of Excel Saga! :p
Dracofrost
Frost Drake
Frost Drake

Postby Gigafrost » Mon Dec 15, 2003 7:10 pm

Sure. Sounds fun.

Excel Saga DVD 1
Okay, while this is not a complete review, it'll be interesting as I'll be able to say what I expect of the rest of the series.

Basically, the story is Excel, apparently freshly graduated from High School, is now working for the secret idealogical society known as Across. However, Across is so grossly understaffed that the only people in it are Excel, Hyatt, and The Almighty Lord Ilpallazo, but they will still work to take over the world. Of course, Excel doesn't have much money for meals. Prepare for a very wacky ride...

At least, it seems like a 5 to me. Really, though, the series hits you too hard with its excentricness and humor to notice problems with the animation. Actually, now that I think about it, there aren't any real problems with the animation. All the oddities I can think of are intentional and add to the humor content...

Story: 4
Okay, I'll take a point of since there doesn't seem to be any direct story, but really this series is just as enjoyable without a major story. There is some hint of progress throughout the DVD, but again you'll most likely be laughing till your side hurts and not even noticing.

This series has a very good music track. Not ground-shaking or god-like, but it's VERY enjoyable. Plus some of it is just as strange as the anime...such as the opening and ending songs.

Well, truthfully I haven't listened to the original japanese dub but for a short while, however the voices weren't as annoying. So why, then, do I like to listen to the english dub? There's two reasons. First, it's too easy to understand what Excel says with subtitles, and it's much funner to listen to her spout nonsense and not have any idea what she's saying. Two, being a native english speaker, it's much easier for me to understand the meaning of a tone of voice in english, and the english dub has some VERY funny tones. Overall, those two reasons more than make up for the high-pitched, annoying, and well-done voice of Excel.

Two words: HAIL ILPALAZZO!!!!!!

The only things that prevents me from tying up my friends, taping their eyes open, and forcing them to watch this is...

1) It'd probably ruin the experience.
2) It goes against my morals to do that.
3) It's probably illegal.

I like this series lots, and it's actually spurred a lot of the excitement I have for Christmas. It's not that I expect it, but now it gives me an excuse to look forward to all my gifts... ^__^
Gigafrost
Frost Weapon
Frost Weapon

Postby Evlfrost » Tue Dec 16, 2003 4:30 am

You didnt need to ty up me, tape my eyes open, or force me to watch it. I loved it ^^

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Postby Gigafrost » Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:14 pm

Time to give a complete Excel Saga review...I'll just copy the previous one and change\add a few things...

Excel Saga
Basically, the story is Excel, apparently freshly graduated from High School, is now working for the secret idealogical society known as Across. However, Across is so grossly understaffed that the only people in it are Excel, Hyatt, and Lord Ilpallazo, but they will still work to take over the world. Of course, Excel doesn't have much money for meals. Prepare for a very wacky ride...

While maybe a small problem here and there, the animation remained very well done throughout the entire series.

Story: 5
While at first the series seems to have no story, a major plot does develope for the last few episodes, and many seemingly inconsequential and unrelated events from the past play a part. What little serious story the series did give was *very* well done. Powerful, exciting, etc. I had trouble sitting still in my seat for this.

This series has a very good music track. Not ground-shaking or god-like, but it's VERY enjoyable. Plus some of it is just as strange as the anime...such as the opening and ending songs. A job well done.

Well, truthfully I haven't listened to the original japanese dub but for a short while, however the voices weren't as annoying. So why, then, do I like to listen to the english dub? There's two reasons. First, it's too easy to understand what Excel says with subtitles, and it's much funner to listen to her spout nonsense and not have any idea what she's saying. Two, being a native english speaker, it's much easier for me to understand the meaning of a tone of voice in english, and the english dub has some VERY funny tones. Overall, those two reasons more than make up for the high-pitched, annoying, and well-done voice of Excel.

Of course, of worth mentioning is the switch in voice actors for Excel between DVDs 3 and 4 (since the original one hurt her vocal cords during the recording process). During the 4th DVD the new actress didn't have many of the small parts of Excel's voice down that I had enjoyed, but I am glad to say that she made an excellent comeback and did VERY good in DVDs 5 and 6. Hurray!

Two words: HAIL ILPALAZZO!!!!!!

Once again, HAIL ILPALAZZO!!!!!!

The series was awesome. They did such a good job throwing different jokes and unexpected twists at you that the only way you'd not enjoy the series is...

1) The humor style doesn't fit your liking in the first place
2) It's too much of a good thing

Seriously, this series has been so much fun that I'm actually thinking of checking out the Puni Puni Poemy anime, another series (supposedly coming to DVD sometime this year) done by the same director (maybe even same animators, studio, or whatever).
Gigafrost
Frost Weapon
Frost Weapon

Postby Evlfrost » Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:12 am

I like the character reviews :lol

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Postby nemele » Tue Jan 06, 2004 6:24 pm

I also think you should do Cowboy Bebop...or Inuyasha! Inuyasha rocks, I have an anime pin of him on my hat...
Queen of the PointyShiney
"I've been called many things in my life, but never a vicious, cold-blooded piece of toast."-Cassie's "Draco Sinister"
"I'll see that 'blimey' and raise you a 'f*ing hell.'"-Lori's "HWaTF"
nemele
Castle Guard

PreviousNext

Return to Entertainment Igloo