Gigafrost's Anime Reviews...

A place to discuss movies, books, music and other forms of non-interactive entertainment. It also keeps your food cold.

Moderator: Rao

Postby Evlfrost » Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:54 am

Giga hasnt seen Inuyasha.
Evljsh: You're young and thus illegal!
xXOkashiiSuruXx: -falls over-

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Postby nemele » Mon Jan 12, 2004 6:18 pm

Well, Giga should see Inuyasha. It rocks.

Also, my friend gave me the first DVD of an anime for a Secret Santa gift entitled Witch Hunter Robin. I need to go get the others now. It was extremely cool.
Queen of the PointyShiney
"I've been called many things in my life, but never a vicious, cold-blooded piece of toast."-Cassie's "Draco Sinister"
"I'll see that 'blimey' and raise you a 'f*ing hell.'"-Lori's "HWaTF"
nemele
Castle Guard

Postby Tar-Herunole » Sat Jan 17, 2004 3:32 am

I like almost everything from Rumiko Takahashi.. Inuyasha rocks... (although have seen only first 50 )
High King of the Noldor in Middle-Earth
Honorary Knight of the Pointy Shiney
"... All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die"
Tar-Herunole
Elite Guard

Postby Evlfrost » Sat Jan 17, 2004 4:45 am

From what little Ive seen of Inuyasha, it seems interesting. But yeah Rumiko Takahashi is good. Things like Ranma are great.
Evljsh: You're young and thus illegal!
xXOkashiiSuruXx: -falls over-

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Postby Tar-Herunole » Sat Jan 17, 2004 3:21 pm

Although a little more girlish, I like also maisson Ikoku
High King of the Noldor in Middle-Earth
Honorary Knight of the Pointy Shiney
"... All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die"
Tar-Herunole
Elite Guard

Postby Gigafrost » Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:18 am

Well, I've seen a whole lot of anime over the summer. I don't know how many I'll review in this thread before I tire out, but here goes...

Full Metal Alchemist (also Fullmetal Alchemist)
Alchemy is a science where one understands the structure of a matter, breaks it down, and then rebuilds it. If used correctly, it can turn plain lead into gold. However, since it is science, the principles of nature still apply. You can only create something of a certain mass from something with the same mass. This is the principal of equivalent trade.

Ed and Al are two young kids who are genius alchemists. However, after their mother died, they attempted human transmutation to bring her back to life. Human transmutation was banned because all alchemists who have tried it have failed and been injured by the transmutation process itself, and Ed and Al were no exceptions. Ed lost an arm and a leg while his younger brother lost his entire body, only existing in the world because Ed managed to bind Al's soul to a nearby armor before collapsing. What they created wasn't human.

Now, it has been four years, and the brothers are searching for the legendary Philosopher's Stone, a legendary rock that is said to allow transmutations that ignore the principal of equivalent trade. With it, they hope to regain their bodies. But they aren't the only ones searching for the stones and mysterious people seem to be working behind the scenes.

Animation: 5
This series has incredible animation on-par with most OVA. This is impressive because, not only is it a TV series (which generally have lower-than-OVA animation) it is a 52 episode TV series, twice the length of the normal anime.

Story: 5
My story introduction does not do this anime justice. The way they present it is far superior to anything I could write, and as the story progresses and developes it only gets better. Although only 45 episodes have been aired\translated, this series would surive even with the worst possible endings I could imagine. At this point, I am confident that my scores will not change by the end of the series.

There is an excellent mix of humor and storytelling. People who are attracted to one but not the other should find the anime to be pleasant. People who enjoy both will most likely find themselves addicted.

Music: 5
The music is excellent. If you cannot stand the same intros and endings for a 26 episode anime, you should be pleased with Full Metal Alchemist's dynamic intros\endings which change often enough (perhaps every 10-15 episodes, on average?). The music completely enhances the mood intended. I could not imagine how it would be improved in any way.

Sound: 5
The sound is done with absolute perfection. Although it's possible this could change if Funimation screws up the english dub. I've commented on "unique" sounds in previous animes' reviews. This anime's "transmutation" sound is excellent, memorable, and unique.

Characters: 5
Lots of character development in this anime, lots of characters, an overall perfect blend of enjoyable personalities and interesting histories. Most characters have an interesting blend of "cool" and "humorous"...at least, it's interesting in that they've developed characters with these humorous aspects without destroying their coolness.

Execution: 5
I certainly hope you enjoy it as much as I have. Before this anime, I wouldn't have been so sure which anime I liked the best, but now I'm tempted to tell you that this one is.
Gigafrost
Frost Weapon
Frost Weapon

Postby TerraFrost » Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:28 am

considering how many anime's are getting such high rankings (i mean, if every anime gets a 5, then a 5 doesn't mean a whole lot, heh), might it be a bit prudent to use a harsher scale?

although i suppose the flip side is... if you didn't like it, you probably wouldn't have watched the whole series, and a review probably wouldn't be forthcoming (since it wouldn't be as all-encompasing - or something - as it should be)...
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Gigafrost » Sun Aug 29, 2004 5:06 am

I'm simply more likely to review those animes which would score a bunch of 5s. Here are some anime I watched over the summer that will definately not score all 5s:

Saber Marionette J
Hunter X Hunter
Ai Yori Aoshi (and its sequel, Ai Yori Aoshi Enishi)
Steel Angel Kurimi 2 (I'm not sure about the first, though)
Pita Ten
Puni Puni Poemi
Rizelmine
Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien
Kanon
Now and Then, Here and There

I could use a harsher scale, but when I watch I don't grade on a harsher scale. Even after restrospect, only serious flaws would really change the scores. I'd say that my review probably reflect just that...how I saw it and how much thinking about it changed that perspective.
Gigafrost
Frost Weapon
Frost Weapon

Postby TerraFrost » Sun Aug 29, 2004 5:17 am

hmmm. you should review .hack//sign (although judging from the post before the one before this one, you may be planning on it, anyway, heh) :)
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Rao » Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:13 am

did anyone like the Hellsings?
Tell the Spartans, Stranger passing by,
That here, Obedient to their laws, We lie,
Rao
Elite Guard

Postby Gigafrost » Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:48 pm

I've never seen Hellsing, but I've heard of it.

As for Terra...

.Hack//Sign
Tsukasa wakes up in the popular game called "The World." His memory of what just happened is a bit fuzzy, but Tsukasa begins to realize that something is amiss. He is unable to log out of the game and he is not sitting in front of a terminal. He is within the game itself. How did this happen? Why did this happen? Even though he is indifferent about the situation, Tsukasa's situation will catch the attention of many players within "The World."

Animation: 4.5
The art style is beautiful and the movement is very smooth, however most of the anime is composed of dialogue between characters involving little movement. Overall, if the pace of the anime didn't make me notice the lengthy pauses, the animation would have had a 5.

Story: 5
If you come into this anime not demanding action or high animation but to watch and think about the story, you should be pleased. About the only downside to the story is the ending which is intended to lead into the .Hack games while also wrapping up the story of the people involved. I'm not entirely convinced that this is a bad thing, though, so I'm not taking points off because of it.

Music: 5
The music for this anime is absolutely incredible.

Sound: 5
Both dubs are excellent and the sounds of The World are very well done. There are a couple of sounds unique to this anime as well.

Characters: 5
A well rounded cast of characters, many with real-world histories and\or game-world history. Lots of character development throughout the series allows us to understand their positions (at least a bit).

Execution: 4.5
The biggest downside of this anime is its slow pace. Much of the anime consists of lengthy dialogue between the players of the game, sometimes with the same ideas being repeated between different players. There is also a lot of tire-spinning in the dialogue...IE, ideas which lead to dead ends. Perhaps it doesn't stand out as much if one isn't watching the episodes back-to-back, but it's noticeable. Overall, the anime could be improved in a few ways, but it is still quite enjoyable as is.
Gigafrost
Frost Weapon
Frost Weapon

Postby TerraFrost » Mon May 02, 2005 4:03 am

Based on the first four episodes, I think Full Metal Alchemist might be the best anime I've yet seen. I'm not uber sure why this is, but a few ideas as to why this might be follow.

It has almost the same magic that Disney classics like Aladdin have (in that way, I think it's probably an anime that's more accessable to those in the US than most). Pursuant to that, it's story doesn't (atleast from what I've seen) seem to involve or have ramifications for the entire world nor does it rely on a sense of comedy that is, in a very real sense, foreign.

Further, the fact that it doesn't attempt to take place in a real place or time makes it all that more accessable, imho. Your knowledge of the cities or cultures involved doesn't affect your enjoyment of it.

I could give further exlanations as to why I think the above matter, but sufficide to say, I think Full Metal Alchemist is the best anime I've thus seen (for the record and thanks to Giga, I'm sorta in the process of seeing Evangellion, I've seen some DB and DBZ, and I've seen all of Chobits and .Hack//Sign)

Incidently, based on what I've seen thus far, it also seems that this anime could very easily have been an X-Files like anime. In the last ep or two on the first DVD, the characters attempt to investigate the mysterious happenings in some village. That's what Mulder and Scully did in the X-Files. Occasionally, they'd find something that actually developed a continuing story-line, but most of the time, they didn't..
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Gigafrost » Mon May 02, 2005 10:16 am

Yeah... it, as well as My-HiME, are both animes that I need to review, heh. Naturally, they're both anime that are easily all-fivers.

EDIT: Heh, I've already reviewed Fullmetal Alchemist, heh. I forgot. Nothing different about the reviews, though.
Gigafrost
Frost Weapon
Frost Weapon

Previous

Return to Entertainment Igloo