nemesis review (spoilers!)

A place to discuss movies, books, music and other forms of non-interactive entertainment. It also keeps your food cold.

Moderator: Rao

nemesis review (spoilers!)

Postby TerraFrost » Sun Dec 15, 2002 5:29 am

there are way too many spoilers to use the spoiler tag, hehe.

anyways... I recently saw the new star trek movie, and... it was a fun movie. I think a non trekkie would enjoy it, but I think a die hard trekkie would have a hard time swallowing some of what was in it.

The first "glitch" I noticed was when the crew went to an alien planet after picking up a positronic signal. The planet was inhabited in a few areas by a pre warp civilization. So when they saw people after they had picked up all the parts of the new android, if they were obeying the prime directive, they would have surrended, but nope. They attacked, and fought their way out. So that was a direct violation of the prime directive.

Next, the new android they find turns out to be another android by doctor Soong. However... Data's "mother" in a TNG ep only knew of two androids - Data and Lore. So, this made it, for a die hard trekkie, a little hard to swallow.

Third, and the probably biggest gripe - why would a slave race of the romulan star empire have more advanced technology than anyone? They have a ship that can fire when cloaked, than can take 10 times the beating the enterprise can, and have found a new type of radiation that no one has even really heard of before. With a ship like this, the dominion war should have been over a long time ago.

Also, why did they use "dune buggies"? Why not hover crafts? Or why not just lift off each time a new piece was found, and land again?

And if the bad guy was supposed to be dying because of some sort of temporal alterations that were done to him, then why not just reclone himself, without applying the temporal alterations, and then use the blood from his clone?

And what about when the bad guys began to board the ship? Why weren't the force fields activated to contain them? It sure isn't because they were damaged, because when the torpeda hit the ship, blowing out the main viewing screen, a force field was rather quickly activated.

Now, to address some rumors that have been circulating on the net for a while... yes, Data does die. I'm not sure if they'll be doing another star trek movie, but if they do, I think it should definitly be called Star Trek XI: The Search for Data! hehe.

And Captain Janeaway makes an appearence in this episode... as an admiral, no less! But we only see her for all of a few seconds, heh.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Nuxius » Sun Dec 15, 2002 10:08 pm

I don't know.... the more I hear about it, the more I think I'll wait to watch it on DVD. :lol:
Nuxius
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Postby TerraFrost » Sun Dec 15, 2002 10:32 pm

well... there is one really big reason you should watch it in the theatre - and i actually forgot to say this in my first post, heh, but.... the sound was spectacular! never before have i felt so much bass in my legs! and i was in the middle of the theatre!
so anyways, if you watch it at home, you'll miss out on the base! ;-)
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Evlfrost » Tue Dec 17, 2002 12:49 am

How come they never metion lore in that movie? It would have been a logical choice to have that other android be lore just reprogrammed.
Evljsh: You're young and thus illegal!
xXOkashiiSuruXx: -falls over-

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Postby TerraFrost » Tue Dec 17, 2002 2:04 am

data shot lore with a phaser in the two part episode descent. i think lore is quite dead. although, then again, data's been through worse, and they've been able to put him back together, so go figure, heh.

and actually, i think they do mention lore... there's data, lore, and now... before... well, i think that they mentioned that in the movie - maybe that was my uber trek knowledge manifesting itself again, hehe.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Thu Dec 19, 2002 1:36 am

oh - watching the fellowship of the ring again in preperation for the two towers, i was reminded of something else...

Shinzon's death scene is very similar to Lurtz's (i think that's the name of the head uruk-hai in FotR) - he gets impailed, and then stares picard in the eyes, pulls the object which impailed him even further into him just sorta staring at picard the whole time... a very cheap rip of FotR...
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Return to Entertainment Igloo