the last castle

A place to discuss movies, books, music and other forms of non-interactive entertainment. It also keeps your food cold.

Moderator: Rao

the last castle

Postby TerraFrost » Sun Dec 08, 2002 11:17 am

was it just me, or did this seem like a modern version of Gladiator? you have a general, now a prisoner, who unifies his fellow inmates, overcome impossible odds, and overthrows the tyranical leader, dying in the process.
although i have to admit... i think gladiator was better... this movie dealt with the scum of the earth (the prison population) - gladiator dealt with people who were assumed to be the scum of the earth based on superficial characteristics, and not what they actually did. in the last castle, people actually could be, and probably weren't trustworthy, even though, in the end, they ended up being trustworthy (which kinda made the movie a little hard to swallow).
and as far as prison movies are concerned... i think the shawshank redepmtion is better :)
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Nyufrost » Sun Dec 08, 2002 11:26 am

I didn't see this movie so I can't really comment on it.

But, of course the Shawshank Redemption is better ... anything by Stephen King is superior! ^_^
<BR><center> "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look <br> what they can do when they stick together.." ... Vesta M. Kelly</center>
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby Gigafrost » Sun Dec 08, 2002 7:16 pm

It wasn't a normal prison, though. It was a military prison for military personnel that had committed crimes, and supposedly the general brought back their honor...

In any case, in the limited context of the above view it *could* seem like Gladiator but you forget...Gladiator wasn't about succeeding over impossible odds to kill the badguy. The Last Castle was about overcoming impossible odds to defeat the badguy. Remember, in Gladiator succeeding over impossible odds was only an indirect way of killing the badguy. In The Last Castle, it was the direct method. There's a big difference there...

Plus, in The Last Castle the person they were trying to overthrow was the person who had direct control\ownership of their lives. This wasn't the case in Gladiator.

In all, I enjoyed the movie, but I could see myself choosing not to watch it a second time.
Gigafrost
Frost Weapon
Frost Weapon

Postby TerraFrost » Sun Dec 08, 2002 8:30 pm

just because you're in the army doesn't mean you have honor. in fact, for most of the people there, if they had honor, they wouldn't even have done the crimes that put them there.

and how was Gladiator not about overcomming impossible odds and killing the badguy? be it direct or indirect, that's what they did.

anyways, i said the movie was *like* Gladiator, not exactly the same. There are, imho, lots of similar elements than is normally common for movies. Since there arent too many movies that have meteors hitting Earth, I think it would also be fair to say that Armaggedon is like Deep Impact, even though the two have fundamentally different, in certain ways.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Gigafrost » Sun Dec 08, 2002 8:53 pm

I never said they had it to begin with but once they were in the prison the entire idea was they had nothing for themselves and the general gave them reasons to like themselves and to... [couldn't think of the right words to properly describe this]

Also, you were comparing the movie to Gladiator which is a completely different movie. Gladiator was also about how he ended up in that situation and The Last Castle wasn't. The Last Castle was about the prisoners regaining their humanity. :lila:
Gigafrost
Frost Weapon
Frost Weapon

Postby TerraFrost » Sun Dec 08, 2002 9:15 pm

i'd say that both Gladiator and The Last Castle were multi faceted movies... there was one theme that those who do wrong will face justice, even if the only place it can come from is from those who would normally least be able to exact justice. they were both similar, with regard to that theme. with regard to other themes, they no doubt aren't so similar, as you've pointed out ;)
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Return to Entertainment Igloo