Terminator Salvation trailer

A place to discuss movies, books, music and other forms of non-interactive entertainment. It also keeps your food cold.

Moderator: Rao

Terminator Salvation trailer

Postby TerraFrost » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:03 pm

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/termina ... howVideo=1

Personally, I think the franchise is getting a little worn. The first three featured destruction in a contemporary city and were kinda neat because of how someone could be talking to a Terminator totally not realizing that the "person" they were actually an ultra lethal killing machine. It's like... we, the audience, were privy to something that the regular people in the movie weren't and maybe that made it fun to watch or something.

In this one, that feeling simply isn't going to be there and as such, this movie is liable to come off as being Terminator in name but not in spirit.

The fact that I suspect this movie will ignore the canon established in the TV series Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles (which, in turn, ignores Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines) is liable to confuse movie goers.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Re: Terminator Salvation trailer

Postby Rapscallion » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:17 am

I've had alot of my friends who like Firefly tell me that they really like Sarah O Connor Chronicles (probably because of River). How is it?
:D
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:51 am

Rapscallion wrote:I've had alot of my friends who like Firefly tell me that they really like Sarah O Connor Chronicles (probably because of River). How is it?

It's ok, I guess. Not really an action series like the movies have been, though - certainly there is some action, but I'd say the action scenes are few and far between. Also, I think the series tries too much to have an air of mysticism to it. It's like it, at times, tries to get really deep, but in the end, just comes out as being shallow. For example, I could do without Sarah Conners monologues, without an ex-FBI agents attempt to teach religion to a machine, without Sarah Conners dream visions, etc.

I'll grant that a pure-action series might not be all that appealing, but then again, it might be - it's hard to say. 24 is an example of a TV series with a ton of action that's, for the most part, quite enjoyable. Of course, in Terminator, the only way you could have action is with other Terminators. Nothing else would stand much of a chance.

Finally, I don't agree with a lot of their general strategies.

In Terminator 2, Sarah Conner destroyed anything that could be used to build Skynet. She's basically trying the same thing here to no avail. Personally, I think the lesson that ought to be learned from that is that her strategy simply isn't working and she needs to get a new one. Namely, to educate people about the potential dangers of whatever. Without hard evidence, it might be easy to dismiss you, but... she's had lots of hard evidence. Lots of terminators whose existence would be difficult to deny.

Also, personally, I think John Conner ought to try to reprogram them. It's suggested he doesn't because they'll just magically revert to their original programming at some point, yet Cameron - Summer Glau's character - never does. Well, she kinda does, once, but if that once was good enough for her, why is it not good enough for everyone else? Also, they should have tried to figure out what caused her programming to revert, albeit temporarily, and make it that much likely to happen.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Rapscallion » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:03 pm

hmmmmm. That's interesting. It sounds like they made it cleaner and more "WB" ish, which was what I was expecting. I should probably watch an episode and see how it is.
:D
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Return to Entertainment Igloo