The hell is up with this shpam?

The office of the Mayor of the Frost City. She can hook you up with the Frost Jedi if you have any questions about the board or the Frost Jedi

The hell is up with this shpam?

Postby Dev » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:02 pm

Damn man, there is a huge increase in shpam nowadays. Who's locking them? Megafrost? Good job man.
Fosty wrote:"My fake plants died because I forgot to pretend to water them."
- Mitch Hedberg

CrustyPunk wrote:Talk to Orion. He plays gee-tar."

Funny men
Dev
Elite Guard

Location: low-temperature penis - cold cock. It actually means the stock of a weapon.

Postby Megafrost » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:28 pm

I've been locking a whole lot of them, but there are a few that other moderators catch before I do, or are otherwise in forums that I don't have moderator powers in(such as FIM support and Dereth).

This is definitely getting to be a rather serious problem. Is there anything else that can be done other than to keep locking the constant spam threads?

*moves thread to the Foyer*
The universe is mine and all shall bow before the might of Megafrost, master of Orion, master of the universe...
Megafrost
Frost Blacksmith
Frost Blacksmith

Postby Drazo » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:26 pm

Personally I don't think there is much we could do against the spammers. They don't seem to care at all that we remove their crap ASAP and over 90% of the new members and posts are spammers or spam. Terrafrost let alone everyone is a lot busier with other things now and has little time spare to concentrate on things such as this. In the end the remaining moderators and admins will get bored and FJ will be completely taken over by spam.

What I would suggest though is a MOD hack which prevents new members from posting any links (detects "http://" or "www." and stops them from submitting). If these are real people they'll likely to notice that they can't post anymore and might take note that the restriction is in place. If they are bot controlled (programs) then it'll return errors to the controller. Either way it'll give us moderators (yes I've been removing spam myself) a easier time with no/little spam messages to delete/edit.
Drazo
Heroic Guard

Return to The Foyer