no offense

The office of the Mayor of the Frost City. She can hook you up with the Frost Jedi if you have any questions about the board or the Frost Jedi

Postby Dev » Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:24 am

On one side, Hatori is right. Certain topics don't have to be closed, especially in the spam forum. I often find myslf facing a thread just closed due to spam, in the forum made for spam and useless posts

Why dont you create a thread that is made for only spam? Wait... The longest thread is already a spam thread.... Nevermind.
Fosty wrote:"My fake plants died because I forgot to pretend to water them."
- Mitch Hedberg

CrustyPunk wrote:Talk to Orion. He plays gee-tar."

Funny men
Dev
Elite Guard

Location: low-temperature penis - cold cock. It actually means the stock of a weapon.

Postby TerraFrost » Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:47 am

there seem to be two main camps when it comes to spam. the following situation should illustrate the differences.

say person A starts a thread about evolution (for example). a few posts down, person B says that evolution is gods test of our faith. person C then replies to person B saying that there is no god. after a few threads, it becomes clear - this is no longer a debate about evolution, but rather, a debate about god.

the first camp would say that the thread should always have been about evolution. that's what people expect when they look at the title, and that's what should be in the thread. debates about anything else should be posted in a new thread. this camp also tends to believe that there is such a thing as too much spam in a spam thread - that spam about, say, puppies should *only* be in a thread about puppies.

anyway, the second camp would say that if the people of the board want to discuss god in a thread whose title would suggest a discussion about evolution, that they should be allowed to do so. this camp also believes that there is no such thing as too much spam in a spam thread - that a thread should be judged by more than its cover (or title, in this case, heh).

whatever side you may pescribe to, don't dismiss the other side out of hand, for there are a lot of people who pescribe to it, as well.

i, myself, pescribe to the latter (that there's no such thing as too much spam in a spam thread), but i also do realize that others don't. i try to account for both perspectives when moderating.

also, i'm moving this thread to the foyer.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Megafrost » Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:20 pm

It should be noted that the main reason I'm so strict even in a spam forum is because...the posts there count towards your overall posts. Posts there get you ice cubes. It is my opinion that those who spam shouldn't have more ice cubes than those who don't. Some people take advantage of this, spamming specifically to have more posts and ice cubes than everyone else.

If the Spammer's Market didn't contribute to overall posts or ice cubes, there's a really good chance that I'd lighten up a bit.
The universe is mine and all shall bow before the might of Megafrost, master of Orion, master of the universe...
Megafrost
Frost Blacksmith
Frost Blacksmith

Postby Dev » Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:28 am

Less spam, Less strict :p
You gotta hand it up to megafrost. Without him, the ToB and Spammer's Market would already be full with new topics of spam that I won't even be able to read all of them.
- Mitch Hedberg

Funny men
Dev
Elite Guard

Location: low-temperature penis - cold cock. It actually means the stock of a weapon.

Postby Rao » Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:23 am

Go Mega and Omega, be strict!!!!!! How come no one ever complains about me???
Tell the Spartans, Stranger passing by,
That here, Obedient to their laws, We lie,
Rao
Elite Guard

Postby OmegaFrost » Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:03 am

Rao wrote:Go Mega and Omega, be strict!!!!!! How come no one ever complains about me???

Wait.. You want me to be strict? oh well....

*grows a little mustache comes his hair over and greases it.*

No complaining about not being complained about for you!

Bwuahahahaha!!!!

"Fear the Omega Nazi :p"

Daleks from another dimension!

"Mark... Mark... Mark... there are not ninjas following you around acting like their going to kill you... Just one! His name is Roger and hes really pissed!"
OmegaFrost
Frost Scientist
Frost Scientist

Postby Rao » Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:07 pm

hahahaha!!!!!

Honestly though, I hate spam, i dont think i ever posted in the spammers market and when tob was alot of spam i think i just messed around a few times, if this just about Omega and Mega closing threads, for one, they can do it if they like, and two, they probably are correct in closing. It's crap to see someone with 2500 posts half were only one word posts to someone like me who babbles alot and actually puts time into what he is saying.

Ok, I'm done
Rao
Elite Guard

Postby Dev » Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:01 pm

Rao is like the sneaky mod. He deletes posts in Dereth without any notice. Drazo is also a sneaky one.
- Mitch Hedberg

Funny men
Dev
Elite Guard

Postby Drazo » Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:28 am

I haven't deleted any posts here. I usually edit, lock, move and split them when appropriate.
[Don't watch here carefully]
Drazo
Heroic Guard

Postby Rao » Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:55 pm

Yeah, i just delete, i do not need to tell anyone wut i am doin :)
Rao
Elite Guard

Previous

Return to The Foyer