Real Pokemon Training

A cool place to hang out and play word games, brag about your gaming skills or discuss PC, console or online games.

Moderator: Neerowolf

Real Pokemon Training

Postby Gigafrost » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:36 pm

Okay, so I just made this post on Gaia Online so I'll also copy it here for anybody here that might want to know this information. :)

--------------------------------------------------

I know this post seems long ; maybe all you need is to read the brief summary just below. I suggest that you at least read that to get an idea about the terminology that Evlfrost, Megafrost, and myself have been throwing around...

I think I've mentioned to a few people that I was intending to explain IVs and EVs here on the forums somewhere. Truth be told, there are three ways you could beat us...

1) Cheat. Maybe nothing spectacular... maybe using moves that are considered bad form, or bringing legendaries to a non-legendary fight.

2) Luck. Maybe you'll end up with the right pokemon (or the right moves) to take out our teams. Or maybe hoping for a rare event.

3) Beat us at our own game. In other words, understand how we create our pokemon.

Now, clearly #1 simply makes you look bad. It can also lead to undesired consequences... what happens when we start applying #3 to #1 pokemon? It has already happened to one person ; I've designed a couple of pokemon to use against her because she used legendaries against me (and the gloated about it.)

#2 is clearly not that great an option. If you end up with the right combination of pokemon, the strategy we use will change. Waiting for rare events is the #1 battle killer, too. To depend on such things pretty much guarantees losing more than winning.

#3 is the only option that can guarantee success. This does come with a disadvantage, though. Often you'll find that your favorite pokemon isn't viable for how you'd need to use it. Some balance can be found here ; your team doesn't actually have to be a specific group of six. In fact, I noticed that some of y'all had many different pokemon. :)

A fourth option is to simply continue using the pokemon you do like. Winning isn't everything, of course. You should enjoy your pokemon. :) (People like us like numbers, hence why we can settle into developing and following strategies.)

So, let's get started!

---------------------------------------------

Brief summary of how to design a pokemon based upon stats.

Let me summarize really fast here:

-Base Stat ; this determines which pokemon are fast, which are strong, and this is the same for every pokemon of that specie
-IVs ; these are values unique to every individual pokemon, generated when they are born
-EVs ; these values change depending on the pokemon has battled
-Nature ; this adds to one stat and subtracts from another

So, what we abstractly do is:

* Oh! I like Gardevoir! What's its base stats?
* Okay, I want to make its Special Attack as high as possible and raise its speed pretty high
* (Then dive into the details of IVs, EVs, and nature)

This, of course, ignores moves, but I'll cover moves at a future date. For now, I'll just note that we check a couple of pokemon sites to get ideas for pokemon. Sometimes we implement exactly what they have there, other times we come up with other ideas.

Now, why go into the details? Because I've put over 646 hours into my Pokemon Diamond game alone and the vast majority of this information is stuff that we know.

---------------------------------------------

How a pokemon's stat is calculated.

-----Base stats-----

The game can give you the wrong impression about how a pokemon's stats are determined. You level up your pokemon and you see:

HP: +3
Attack: +2
Defense: +1
Special Attack: +1
Special Defense: +1
Speed: +2

That gives the impression of randomness ; it SEEMS random, right? It's actually not. Every pokemon specie has something called base stats which determine what its stats will look like when it's level 100. Will it be fast? Strong? Defensive? The base stat says it all! For example, let's take Gardevoir as an example. Its base stats are:

HP: 68
Attack: 65
Defense: 65
Special Attack: 125
Special Defense: 115
Speed: 80

You might notice that its hp, attack, and defense are pretty low compared to the others. Speed isn't that impressive, either. But, its Special Attack and Special Defense are pretty high!

How much do those stats affect the value of that stat at level 100? Well, if that was all it took to calculate the value of that stat, it would be:

5 + BASE * 2

HP would be different, but go ahead and ignore that for now. In fact, I'll ignore HP for the time being. Here's what a Gardevoir's stats would look like at level 100 with just that simple data:

Attack: 135
Defense: 135
Special Attack: 255
Special Defense: 235
Speed: 165

(You can look at level 100 pokemon in your party to see how that compares.)

Now, one question that might come to mind is "how high is very high?" There really isn't any solid answer. I can say this, however ; double the attack and you will do roughly twice as much damage.

Now, let's start covering the other values that you normally wouldn't pay attention to: IVs, EVs, and nature. Why would you want to do that, you say? The answer is simple: a Gardevoir that uses these will do 50% more damage than one that doesn't use them at all! That's a lot more damage right there.

-----IVs-----

So, let's start with the simplest of those three concepts, IVs. It is short for "Individual Values." It's called that because they're unique for each individual pokemon. This is what causes two different pokemon with everything else the same to have slightly different stats. A pokemon will have six different IVs, one for each stat. So, for example, let's take my Gardevoir as an example. It has the following IVs:

HP: 23
Attack: 24
Defense: 31
Special Attack: 31
Special Defense: 30
Speed: 31

As you might have guessed, 31 is the highest it goes. How does IV affect a stat for a level 100 pokemon? Here's the new formula for a pokemon's stat:

5 + BASE * 2 + IV

It's that simple. It just adds somewhere between 0-31 points to an individual stat.

The most important thing to note is that, once the pokemon is born, these are permanent. It is possible to take a bunch of level 1 pokemon and find out if any of them have 31 IVs in the stats you really want. (I will cover later how we do that.)

For now, let me update the above Gardevoir stats to now include IVs...

Attack: 135 + 24 = 159
Defense: 135 + 31 = 166
Special Attack: 255 + 31 = 286
Special Defense: 235 + 30 = 265
Speed: 165 + 31 = 196

-----EVs-----

Next up. EVs. They are also commonly called EPs for "Effort Points." That basically means "how much your pokemon has trained this stat". Like IVs, there is one for each stat, but unlike IVs, they always start at "0" and increase depending on what you have your pokemon fight. For example, if your pokemon beats a Gyarados, it'll get 2 points added to its Attack EV.

This is EV training. It's simple to do once you have the correct information. The only trick is that there is a limit to EV training. A pokemon can only have EVs going up to 255 for any one stat. Once it reaches that limit, the value will not go any higher.

Likewise, a pokemon can only have a total of 510 EVs. Once it has 510, none of its EVs will go any higher.

How do EVs affect the stat formula? It's a little different from IVs:

5 + BASE * 2 + IV + EV / 4

In other words, 4 EVs only add 1 point to that stat.

But, what happens if you divide EV by four and the value isn't round? You toss the decimal numbers. For example, if you had 6 EVs, to find out how many points it adds:

-Divide by four to get "1 with a remainder of 2"
-Toss the remainder to simply get "1"

Naturally, to take advantage of this you have to decide, in advanced, what you'd like your pokemon to be. In my case, I chose to have Gardevoir be a Special Sweeper. This means that I really want to raise its Special Attack and its Speed stat.

Maybe you already noticed, but I mentioned that you toss the remainder, right? So, for Gardevoir, instead of having 255 Special Attack EVs and 255 Speed EVs, I actually only have 252 in each one. Why? Because...

252 / 4 = 63 with a remainder of 0
253 / 4 = 63 with a remainder of 1
254 / 4 = 63 with a remainder of 2
255 / 4 = 63 with a remainder of 3

In other words, 252 adds just as much as 255! No need to put those extra points in there, then. Instead, I'll give those six extra points to another stat. (In my case, I put them in HP, but let's ignore that for now.)

Putting 252 into Special Attack will raise it by 63 points, putting 252 into Speed will raise it by 63 points, so the new stats are:

Attack: 159 + 0 = 159
Defense: 166 + 0 = 166
Special Attack: 286 + 63 = 349
Special Defense: 265 + 0 = 265
Speed: 196 + 63 = 259

-----Nature-----

The final stat modifier is nature. Maybe you've noticed it in the pokemon's status screens. Your pokemon is brave... or timid... or jolly... or calm. These are natures and they do two things:

-They raise one stat by 10%
-They lower another stat by 10%

(There are five natures that actually do nothing at all.)

What you need in order to take advantage of these is to look up on a table what each nature does. Usually you'll know in advanced what you want.

Let's take my Gardevoir, then. Clearly, as a Special Sweeper with a really high special attack, all I want to use are special attacks. I'll probably avoid using any physical attacks, period. So, that immediately suggests a nature I might want to use. I'd want to use one that:

-Raises Special Attack by 10%
-Lowers Attack by 10%

There is a nature which does this: Modest. So, let's take that into account in our above calculations:

Attack: 159 * 0.9 = 143.1 = 143
Defense: 166
Special Attack: 349 * 1.1 = 383.9 = 383
Special Defense: 265
Speed: 259

You may notice that, just like EVs, I threw away the remainder.

But, now compare Gardevoir's stats to your level 100 pokemon. It's looking much scarier, now, isn't it?

Maybe right now you have a question: Nadian, you've been talking about level 100 pokemon. What about when they're level 50? Or somewhere in-between?

It's actually pretty simple. Ignoring that HP works a little different, a level 50 pokemon will have stats that are pretty close to one half its level 100 stat.

In addition, for the battles that force all pokemon to level 100, it doesn't look at the current value, it takes the above values I mentioned and simply calculates brand-new values. (It also does the same thing when the battles force pokemon to level 50.)

That's why, when you battle using "Level 50 All" it doesn't matter what levels the pokemon are ; the game knows how to immediately calculate a pokemon's stats even when it increases by just one level. In fact, this is what the game does when it shows you the level-up box! If my Gardevoir were level 99, its stats would be...

Attack: 141
Defense: 164
Special Attack: 379
Special Defense: 262
Speed: 256

So, when my Gardevoir went from level 99 to level 100, it just displayed the difference:

Attack: +2
Defense: +2
Special Attack: +4
Special Defense: +3
Speed: +3

Hopefully now you understand those aspects! :)

-----HP stat-----
In reality, you can think of the HP stat like those other stats ; IVs and EVs work exactly the same. Natures cannot affect HP. But, since I went ahead and mentioned the formulas for normal stats, I thought I'd go ahead and give you the formula for HP:

10 + BASE * 2 + IV + EV / 4 + 100

(That last +100 is because it's a level 100 pokemon ; HP is a little more complicated because of that.)

Now, I'll go ahead and halt there. In the near future, I'll try and add:

-Nature and IV breeding
-EV training
-Choosing movesets
-Choosing items
-Smogon community
Gigafrost
Frost Weapon
Frost Weapon

Re: Real Pokemon Training

Postby Gigafrost » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:13 am

Nature and IV breeding
In the previous post, I explained the advantages of having the correct nature and good IVs. Let me now cover how to breed a pokemon with the values you want. Thankfully, this section will be less math-heavy. :) Unfortunately, it looks like it's longer than the last one... :sweat:

Also, sorry, but I can't read over my own post for now ; out of time.

-----------------------------------

Brief Summary on how to breed for the right nature and good IVs
On the surface, it's actually very simple:

-Breed for a female of the right nature
-Give her an everstone and breed her with any suitable male
-Toss all females with the wrong nature
-Replace the parents with children who have more desirable IVs
-Stop when the IVs and nature are what you want

If you don't have a good way to check IVs (which will be covered in this post) then you only really need to do the very first step! On the flip side, the better the IVs you want, the longer the last three steps will take.

-----Breeding introduction: how to-----

Breeding is simple enough ; choose two pokemon that can breed, put them in a Daycare Center together, and eventually the owner will find an egg. What will hatch from this egg? In general it's the lowest evolved form of the female. I'll detail the exceptions in a little bit.

What pokemon can you breed together? There are two options:

-Other pokemon in the same egg group (includes members of the same specie)... naturally they have to be of the opposite gender
-Ditto

So, maybe you just had a hunch that Ditto is incredibly useful for breeding. Turns out, it is! It can breed with males and females so you don't need to worry about getting the right gender. In addition, Ditto is the only way to breed a pokemon which has no gender (such as Beldum or Bronzong.)

But, sometimes you really do want pokemon from the same egg group. (More on this in the Move Set post coming in the future.) Sometimes, you can accurately guess which pokemon would be in the same egg group... other times, it's simply baffling. It is suggested that you use an online resource to figure this out. (Or stick with Ditto!)

So, for a brief example, let's say we wanted to breed to get more Eevees. (Who wouldn't want more Eevees?) Eevee is in the Ground egg group. This means that, other than another Eevee, it could breed with Pikachu, Smeargle, Rattatta, Vulpix, or even Lucario.

Heck, there's actually a lot more options than that! (But, I'll note that Eevee have a 7 in 8 chance of being male so most likely you have a male Eevee and need to breed it with a Ditto anyways...)

Unfortunately, legendary pokemon cannot be bred, despite them being the pokemon that you might want to breed the most!

-----Breeding exceptions----

I'll just make a list of exceptions to the normal rules:

-Breeding Manaphy with Ditto will result in Phione (which does NOT evolve into Manaphy)

-Ditto apparently cannot breed with Ditto (it didn't work when I tried.)

-Pokemon cannot breed with Child Pokemon (pokemon that require happiness to evolve, like Pichu, Buneary, Elekid...)

-For some pokemon, you do not get the lowest evolved form of the pokemon unless one of the parents is holding a specific incense. Examples include Wynaut and Munchlax.

-----Location of Daycare Centers-----
A lot of this guide can be applied in both the 3rd and the 4th generation pokemon games. In fact, most of the underlying concepts were probably concrete in the 3rd generation. So, maybe you want to breed pokemon in your 3rd gen games, instead? (There are reasons but Jshin and I have yet to go down that path.)

FireRed / LeafGreen: Island 4 of the Sevii Islands

Ruby / Sapphire / Emerald: Just west of Mauville City

Diamond / Pearl: Solaceon City

-----Cost of breeding-----
Unfortunately, it costs money to withdraw your pokemon from the Daycare Centers. I can't recall what the 3rd generation games do, but the 4th generation are simple enough:

100 + 100 * level-ups

So, if your pokemon levels up 10 times while in the Daycare Center, it'll cost 1100 to take it out. This is noteworthy because, if you switch parents a whole lot, you'll find it can cost a surprising amount (because level 1 pokemon level up much faster than a higher-level pokemon.)

It's probably a good idea to make sure you have plenty of money on hand just in case.

-----Breeding for the right nature-----

Normally, the only option you have in order to obtain a pokemon of the right nature is to keep breeding them until one randomly has the right nature. It doesn't seem that bad unless you're planning to IV breed ; in that case, you specifically need a *female* with that nature, which means you'll have to toss out half your pokemon! :gonk:

There has to be an easier way to do this, right? Actually, there is. You can increase the chances of a pokemon being born with a specific nature in two ways, both involving having a pokemon hold an Everstone:

1) Have the female pokemon hold an Everstone. She has a 50% chance of passing her nature on to the child.

2) Have the Ditto hold an Everstone. It has a 50% chance of passing its nature on to the child.

Obviously option #1 is only useful once you're doing IV breeding so option #2 is your best bet. In theory it'd be really preferable to have a Ditto of each Nature, but thus far only my brother has done that in our social circle. We either go to him or take the slower "breed for random natures" path.

I bet you're wondering "hey Nadian, what happens if I have a female pokemon of the right nature and a Ditto of the right nature and have them both hold Everstones?" I believe the answer is "every single child born will be of that nature! :)"

Genderless pokemon would seem to be a problem, though. To my knowledge, they cannot pass on their own nature. This is more of a problem for IV breeding, though, so I'll talk about this some more there.

-----Checking IVs-----

Like I mentioned in the previous post, IVs can range in value from 0 to 31 and you can only really see what they are when the pokemon is level 100, and then only if the pokemon's EVs are known. There are various options, ranging from the easiest (and most expensive) to the hardest (and least expensive.) Let me try and list some methods.

Before I start, the best way to check them is with an IV Calculator. I do something slightly different that's faster. I'll explain both below in the IV Calculator section.

-Nintendo Wi-Fi, Level 100 Battle-
Requires: Two DSes, two copies of the game
Advantage: 100% accuracy
Disadvantage: You need money for the DS+game, or constant access to a friend

Essentially, you have one game host "Single->Level 100" battles. Because the pokemon game calculates their stats instantly, for that battle they will be level 100 with no EVs. Since you know their nature and their base stats, you can find out *exactly* what their IVs are with 100% accuracy.

-Pokemon Battle Revolution, Level 50 All-
Requires: Pokemon Battle Revolution, your pokemon sent to the game.
Advantage: Cheaper, you might even already have this set up
Disadvantage: Usually only 50% accurate, a little slower

This might be a feasible option for most of y'all. Basically, you copy the pokemon you want to check to Pokemon Battle Revolution then enter a battle which forces all pokemon to level 50. A Free Battle could be the best (but it might have to be against a computer opponent.) This option will give you really good accuracy ; you'll be within 1 point of the actual value, usually.

-Rare Candies + Reset-
Requires: Many rare candies, some time
Advantage: Better than the Daycare Center for getting to a highly accurate level
Disadvantage: You need to have a lots of rare candies

The basic idea is that you raise the level of one pokemon using rare candies. The more you have, the more accurate the IVs you can measure. In order to do this to many pokemon at once, you reset the game after noting the IVs. Kind of slow, but since 100 rare candies only take twice as much time as 50 rare candies, you can actually get some pretty accurate results.

After determining a pokemon's IVs, reset the game so that you can use those rare candies on the next pokemon.

-Manual Leveling Up-
Requires: good note-keeping, lots of time
Advantage: Might be faster than Daycare Center
Disadvantage: Might not be much faster than Daycare, requires some math, you have to reset

The general idea is this: level the pokemon up in battles like you normally would, but keep track of the pokemon you fight. Then, when you use the IV calculator, you can also tell it what EVs the pokemon has. (It would be best to do this just after a level-up.)

Unfortunately, since the EVs could be mostly random, you *want* to reset. In addition, this would mean that battling the Elite Four is not an option unless you intentionally lose the final battle.

If you do use this method and you need to get rid of unwanted EVs, that can be done with specific berries, but to be honest I've never used those berries.

-Daycare Center + Reset-
Requires: Time and patience
Advantage: Immediately available if you simply have the game, results can be 100% accurate
Disadvantage: The more accurate you want it, the longer the pokemon has to spend in the Daycare Center. Works even less when you want to check more pokemon.

Basically, you put two pokemon in the Daycare Center, level them up to some specified level, and then withdraw them. You can then check to see what their IVs might be. Unfortunately, the lower the level, the higher the inaccuracy.

After checking those IVs, you might want to reset the game and repeat with the next group of two.

-----IV Calculator-----

Here is a link to the IV calculator I use:

http://www.serebii.net/games/iv-calcdp.shtml

Now, let's say you want to calculate the IVs of a pokemon. Here's what you fill out:

-Type in the pokemon's name in the "Specie" field
***Note that it displays the base stats here! Nifty, yes? :) ***

-Type in the pokemon's nature in the Nature field

-Type in the pokemon's level in the Level field

-Type in the HP, Attack, Defense, Special Attack, Special Defense, and Speed stats in their fields

-Leave the EP field below them at 0 unless your pokemon has EVs...

-Click the big "Calculate Individual Values" button

It will list all of your pokemon's IVs as well as a possible range and how accurate it thinks it is. Quite nifty. :)

Of course, entering the stats for multiple pokemon is tiring so you can do what I do, instead:

-Enter all of the above information except for stats and EVs. Put all "31s" for the IVs.

-Click the "Calculate Stats" button.

The "calculated stats" field will give you the stats that pokemon should have! :)

How do you use this to your advantage? Simple ; choose two (maybe three) stats that you want to max out. Then, when you check your pokemon, the ones with values less than that don't have a 31! :) This strategy works specifically for the IV breeding section. Once you have reached the stage where you want to choose the best one you have, you should use the slower method above so that you can see all of the pokemon's IVs.

-----IV Breeding-----

Now, you know that IVs are determined when a pokemon is born and that IVs have a fixed value, right? There is only one important detail I have left out: pokemon can inherit some of their IVs from their parents! In fact, half of their IV stats are inherited from their parents.

The specific details are fairly simple. One IV stat comes from mom, one IV stat comes from dad, and a third IV stat comes from a random parent. The other three IVs are completely random.

The advantages of this are clear: you choose two (or three) stats to max out to 31 and more or less ignore the rest. So, let's say we want a physical sweeper. That means we want more Attack and more Speed. Let's say we start with a mom and dad who have crappy IVs. Here's what we do:

-Breed until we get a pokemon with a 31 in, let's say, Attack. A female. We replace mom with this female.
-Now we breed until we get a male with a 31 in Attack (which mom passed on to it.) We replace dad with this pokemon so that both mom and dad have a 31 attack.

*note that at this point things are pretty awesome ; any child which ever inherits an Attack IV from its parents is guaranteed to have a 31 attack, and there will be a lot of them!*

-Breed until we get a pokemon with a 31 in both Attack and Speed. Let's say another Female. We replace mom with this new female.
-Once again, we breed until we get a male with a 31 in both Attack and Speed. We replace dad, of course.

*note that at this point, approximately 25% (I think) of all pokemon will be born with 31s in both stats!*

-Now you breed for a bunch
-Toss all the ones which do not have 31s in Attack and Speed
-Look at the full IVs of the ones that do and choose the one you want to use!

Once you nail down an IV breeding strategy like that, it's not that bad. You can usually find the pokemon you want in under 200 choices. Considering that you would have to breed maybe 29,000 to just randomly get one with 31s in both stats, that's not bad, and it has the added advantage that you got one which will most likely have better stats overall because you got to choose them in advanced!

-----IV Breeding, taking nature into account-----

Fortunately, adding nature to the equation doesn't complicate things too much. Actually, it can simplify things to only accept pokemon of a specific nature ; then you know exactly what its 31 IV stats should be.

So, to that effect, I use a sort of in-the-middle strategy:

-I begin by breeding a female of the correct nature and give her an Everstone
-I breed her with a random male, following the before-mentioned IV Breeding strategy
-I toss all of the females which have the wrong nature (because the female passes on the nature!)
-I keep all the males with different natures in a separate location. They require more work to check, but you can still use them as long as the female has the correct nature.

When it comes to the final round of IV Breeding, you can simply toss all the ones with the wrong nature. (Some interesting exceptions can come up there, but don't worry about that now.) Then, you have a suitable pool of Males and Females to choose from.

It is also noteworthy that, at this last stage, if you wanted the pokemon to have a specific ability (assuming it's a member of a species with multiple abilities) then you can also toss out the ones with the wrong ability. Simple enough. :)

-----IV Breeding genderless pokemon-----

Unfortunately, since they need to breed with a Ditto, you lose the ability to increase the IVs of both parents ; there will be no Dittos born. In this case, it's best to stick with maxing the IVs of two stats. (One will have to come from the Ditto no matter what.) However, there you can use the next brief section to help in this regard...

-----Dittos and IVs-----

A strategy that I have heard about but haven't used involves adding even more Dittos to your collection. You may recall that I previously suggested that having one of each nature was useful. Well, you could also have six, each with a 31 in an IV.

This would change the IV breeding in this way:

-Breed a female with the correct nature
-Breed her with a Ditto with a desired 31 stat until you get a female with the right nature and the 31 stat
-Breed that new female with another Ditto with the desired 31 stat in both stats ; save one of the males with 31 stat in both stats
-Now breed that last male with his mom until you get a female with 31s in both stats.

-Now breed a bunch of pokemon and choose the best one

-----HP IVs aren't being passed?-----

I've been told (and have observed) that HP IVs do not pass nearly so often as the other IVs. For that matter, I can't even find evidence that they are passed down at all.

-----Child Pokemon and IV breeding-----

I just wanted to note that, since child pokemon cannot breed, IV breeding a pokemon which breeds child pokemon (E.G. the Pikachu line) is a royal pain in the ass... you can't replace the parents with the kids until you've evolved the kids (using happiness, one of the more annoying ways to evolve a pokemon!)
Gigafrost
Frost Weapon
Frost Weapon

Postby Megafrost » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:26 am

I just want to put up some things I've heard:

~If you're breeding a Ditto with a pokémon, only giving the everstone to the Ditto has any effect on the natures passed down, even if the other pokémon is female. So, no 100% offspring of a nature.

~HP IVs can be passed down, but they are passed down much more rarely than the other IVs. I think there is another IV that is passed down more rarely than the others(and less rarely than HP), but I don't remember which one it is.
Megafrost
Frost Blacksmith
Frost Blacksmith

Postby Gigafrost » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:50 pm

EV Training

Hopefully this will be a much smaller section than the others because, when you get down to it, the concepts here are really simple.

-----Brief Summary of EV training-----

-Come up with an "EV spread" that benefits your plan for the pokemon
-Buy vitamins to speed up the process
-Choose specific pokemon to battle and battle them
-Level up your pokemon one last time

-----EV spreads-----

The "EV spread" terminology is simple enough ; it's just planning which stats you are going to boost using EVs and how much you're going to boost it by.

As you may recall, an individual stat's EVs can go up to 255, adding up to 63 points to an individual stat. You might also recall that you can only have 510 total points.

A quick point to make is that, since we toss remainders when we divide, only 508 of those points really need to be assigned (the extra 2 are wiggle-room in case you make a mistake.) In addition, an individual stat should only go up to 252.

So, noting that, let me go ahead and introduce you to the most common EV spread:

4/252/252

In other words, max out the EVs of two stats and increase a third stat (often HP) by just 1 point. (Just a single HP, you say? You'll be thankful for that when your pokemon survives an attack with only 1 HP left...)

So, let's take my Gardevoir example from before. I already mentioned it there, but the EV spread was simple:

HP: 4
Attack: 0
Defense: 0
Special Attack: 252
Special Defense: 0
Speed: 252

This makes sense because my goal with the Gardevoir was to turn it into a Special Sweeper, a pokemon which maximizes its special attack and its speed.

You might find more advanced EV spreads online (in fact, I plan to introduce you to a site which has good suggestions for team designing.) An immediate example that comes to mind is that you can sometimes put a little less EVs into speed ; you can have an rough idea which pokemon you'd want your pokemon to outspeed and only make it *just* fast enough to do that.

For example, a Timid Mewtwo with 216 EVs in speed can outrun a Darkrai by a single point, according to this guide.

For the most part, though, it makes sense to stick with the 4/252/252 spread until you run into pokemon where it's not so clear that's the best strategy.

-----EVs and Nature-----

I just wanted to quickly note that, since Nature boosts the stat *after* taking EVs into account, it's often quite advantageous to put as many EVs into that stat as possible.

If you add 10 points to a stat, the nature will increase that stat by an addition 1 point. That's practically a free point!

-----Vitamins and Berries-----

So, you've decided on an EV spread for your pokemon? Hopefully you are starting your training on a Pokemon with no EVs.

If, however, you've decided that your faithful Articuno that you've always used would be great to EV train, there is one option open for you: there exist a class of berries that *decrease* a specific EV. I do not know which berries these are off the top of my head (because we never use them) but talk to me if you want to explore this route.

Also, if you're going to be EV training a higher-leveled pokemon, note that you won't be able to EV train if the pokemon is level 100. I'll explain that in the next section...

For now, the suggestion is to buy vitamins. Maybe you've always noticed them... Proteins, Carbos, Hp-ups... what they explicitly do is they raise the EV for a specific stat by 10. Nice and simple, right? Actually, there's a limit... they can only increase the EV to 100.

So, for our usual EV training, we would travel to Veilstone City (in Diamond / Pearl) and buy, for the Gardevoir example, 10 Calciums (for Special Attack) and 10 Carbos (for speed). Thanks to Vitamins, you can take care of a good chunk of EV training in a single (expensive) go.

-----Leveling up and EVs-----

Okay, you just gave a total of 20 vitamins to the pokemon but its stats didn't change at all, right? It kind of makes you wonder if maybe I'm just making this stuff up. Actually, there's one thing I didn't tell you about that you need to know now.

In particular, each stat has a "real EV" value. This says what its EVs really are. When you fed the pokemon 10 Calciums, the "real EV" increased by 100. But, the game only uses "EV" to calculate a stat.

The question becomes: how does "real EV" become "EV" and thus become a part of the pokemon's stats? The answer: when the pokemon levels up.

You can actually have a lot of fun with this. You can completely raise a pokemon's EVs and then level up once and you see one value increase by a ridiculous amount! You ever seen a single stat go up 20 points when leveling up?

This is why a level 100 pokemon can't change its EVs ; it can't level up any more. Best to avoid that situation.

-----Finishing EVs-----

Now comes the longer part... you have to single out specific pokemon to fight, battle them, and keep track of the EVs by hand. Naturally, there are ways to make this easier. :)

For starters, single out pokemon which add a specific value to EVs. Then, all you need to do is keep track of how many of them you've taken down. Suddenly, that's a lot easier!

To speed things up, there are a couple of things to help you:

-Pokerus ; this virus doubles the number of EVs you get per pokemon! Nifty! Unfortunately, it's kind of hard to get.

-Macho Brace ; double the number of EVs you get per pokemon. Also nice! I don't use this, however. (But, when combined with Pokerus, it's pretty formidable...)

-Power items ; there's a total of six of these. Each one will add 4 EV to a specific stat. That's pretty useful ; you can be fighting enemies that add to one stat while leveling up another stat. (These are kind of pricey to get, though.)

Usually, the pokemon that give you EVs the fastest will be much too high a level for your newborn pokemon, and even worse, your pokemon will be really slow when wearing one of these items. It is usually best to have another pokemon on your team for taking out the enemy / wild pokemon. Note that since the pokemon can't be wearing an EXP Share, you have to use the old level-up strategy: start the battle with the pokemon you're training, and switch to another pokemon to finish the opponent.

-----Different EV training strategies-----

I just wanted to explicitly mention that there are a couple of ways you can EV train. First, some notes on when the game gives you EVs. Simply put, it happens as soon as your pokemon gets experience from the battle. As a rule of thumb, if your pokemon got no experience, he didn't get any EVs! That means you get EVs when:

-Your pokemon takes out the enemy
-Your pokemon switched out and another pokemon took out the enemy
-Your pokemon is wearing an EXP Share.

Next, these are some higher-level strategies:

-I prefer a "take care of everything in one place" approach. Basically, I choose one stat, locate the pokemon that give EVs in that stat, and then put on the Power items for other EVs I'm going to boost.

-Jshin likes to completely max out a specific stat and then go to a different area to work on another stat.

Neither is really correct (in fact, Jshin's usually requires you to fight 1 or 2 fewer pokemon.)

-----EV Training Hotspots-----

There are actually two options in terms of choosing the best places to EV train:

-Go to a place where random encounters get you what you want very often
-Rematch against a trainer

We don't have a comprehensive list of places that are good, but we have singled out a couple of areas that are really good for a specific stat:

Attack
Instructions: Use Super Rod

This location is very nice. When you use the Super Rod here, you only fight two kinds of pokemon: Gyarados and Seaking. Coincidently, both of them give exactly 2 Attack EVs.

Special Attack
Instructions: Just outside of west Pastoria, there are plants to the south you can CUT. After traveling over the bicycle rope, there's a scientist / pokemon trainer.

Before you do this, I suggest you simply keep battling the guy over and over. He begins with two Kadabras, but as you keep winning he'll eventually switch to having two Alakazams. At this point, you can start using him to EV train.

Kadabras give 2 Special Attack EVs.
Alakazam gives 3 Special Attack EVs.

Special Defense
Location: Just north of the Spring Path entrance (which leads to Giratina)
Instruction: Battle Beauty's Wormadam.

There's probably a better place than this, but at least it's consistent. Wormadam gives 2 Special Defense EVs.

Speed
Instructions: Surf on the water

When you do this, you'll only encounter Golbats which give 2 Speed EVs each.

-----Example-----

I'll go ahead and walk you through an example ; training Gardevoir using my all-in-one-place strategy.

Thanks to the Vitamins, Gardevoir currently has the following EVs:

HP: 0
Special Attack: 100
Speed: 100

Now, I choose to raise Special Attack. I go to the above-mentioned Alakazam hot spot and have my Gardevoir put on Power Anklets (they add +4 to speed EVs when the pokemon gains experience.)

At this point, I now battle 38 Alakazams. I start the battle using Gardevoir and switch to another level 100 pokemon to finish them off. Afterwards, Gardevoir's EVs are now:

HP: 0
Special Attack: 100 + 3 * 38 = 214
Speed: 100 + 4 * 38 = 252

Notice that Gardevoir gained 3 Special Attack EVs and 4 Speed EVs from each Alakazam!

Next, I put a Power Weight on (adds 4 to the HP EV) and battle 1 Alakazam. (Since this trainer has two, I just make sure Gardevoir gets no experience from the second one.) Gardevoir's EVs are now:

HP: 0 + 4 = 4
Special Attack: 214 + 3 = 217

Finally, I put a Power Lens on and battle five more Alakazams. Gardevoir's EVs are now:

HP: 4
Special Attack: 217 + 7 * 5 = 252

Done! :)

-----Final Reminder-----

Once you've gotten all the EVs, remember to level up your pokemon once so that you can see your nice, shiny new stats!
Gigafrost
Frost Weapon
Frost Weapon

Postby Megafrost » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:59 pm

Simple note on the berries. The mechanic they use for reducing the EVs is kinda the "reverse" of the vitamins. Each one reduces the EV points of a skill by 10 points, and if it has more than 100 EV points in that skill, it'll reduce it to 100. So...11 berries ought to be sufficient to reduce the number of EV points in any one stat to 0.

Be sure not to use your last one! You may want to plant it so that you can grow more.
The universe is mine and all shall bow before the might of Megafrost, master of Orion, master of the universe...
Megafrost
Frost Blacksmith
Frost Blacksmith

Return to Arctic Arcade